Irish stew recipes for St Paddy's day?: iWin Forums

Welcome back  !

Make life simple!

Connect your Facebook account and enjoy all of iWin's games and benefits!

Connect with Facebook No, thank you
iWin Forums, the place to meet, ask, and chat.

[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Groups] Forums Home 

Irish stew recipes for St Paddy's day?
Forum Index » Chatter Central
yarmouthherring
[Avatar]
Do you have a favourite Irish Stew recipe to share? Do use pre-boil the potatoes before adding to the stew? Do you us any particular herbs? I usually add some mint 'cos it goes well with lamb/mutton but not sure how traditional it is  
lioncat
[Avatar]
Hi,
I thought I saw a message here the other day about Guinness in Irish Stew but it seems to have vanished? Or was it a leprechaun illusion
Only it wasn't something I'd ever heard of. so I asked my nan and she said the proper way is with only lamb or even better, mutton, potatoes and water with maybe onions and parsley. But my auntie confesses to having used stout sometimes, though she says when you cook it all alcohol evaporates so it's not naughty  
thomasina_t
[Avatar]
Hey, Irish stew is much too good to have only once a year!!!! St Patrick won't mind if you cook it the rest of the year!
As for the recipes, I know there are purists, and the traditional basic stew like lioncat's nan advocates is superb, but there is nothing wrong in experimenting a bit with the herbs and vegetables occasionally, the celeb chefs do it all the time. If you are properly slow cooking the stew for many hours the potatoes can go in raw, but parboiling is useful if you want to speed things up. However, your meat won't be so tender then, so really long slow cooking is best anyway!  
lioncat
[Avatar]
Thought I'd share, Auntie made a belated St Pat's dinner last weekend, which was the nearest time various family members could have been there. She *did* put some Guinness in. And for herbs she used mint and a little rosemary and a dash of garlic too! She is part Irish part Italian ...anyway the recipe worked sweetly!

thomasina_t
[Avatar]
That sounds really yummy, lioncat! Guinness is also a great addition to a beef stew (Irish beef, if poss ). I wonder if there are many Iwin regulars with Irish heritage; maybe we should start a new thread to find out, there was such a a thread asking about any Australian members.  

Forum Index » Chatter Central
Go to: