3 surprising things: iWin Forums

Welcome back  !

Make life simple!

Connect your Facebook account and enjoy all of iWin's games and benefits!

Connect with Facebook No, thank you
iWin Forums, the place to meet, ask, and chat.

[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Groups] Forums Home 

3 surprising things
Forum Index » Chatter Central
Dinismurf
[Avatar]
I often play this ice-breaking game with students and I love the things you find out about people you might otherwise never have known, so I'm starting a thread for it here.

You have to say 3 surprising things about yourself, 2 of which are absolutely true and 1 which is a lie (in any order). Everyone tries to figure out which is which and then scrolls down (no cheating!) to find the answer.

So here are mine:
a) I've never learned to drive a car
b) I've paraglided solo (when you jump off a mountain holding a parachute)
c) I represented Ireland in gymnastics when I was (much!) younger

And the lie is....

c)
Even in a small country like Ireland, there are a couple of million better-co-ordinated people than me, I'm afraid!  

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sat, 5 Nov 2011 15:14

candipink
[Avatar]
a) I have 7 brothers. I'm the only girl in the family.
b) I'm getting married next month - and Dinismurf is coming to my wedding.
c) I'm Japanese, but I've spent more of my life in England than Japan.

a) In fact I'm an only child.
(Dinismurf is my friend in real life - I didn't just invite her to my wedding because I like her rooms!)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sat, 5 Nov 2011 15:14

lovely_cutiepie_zoya
[Avatar]
so here are mine
(1)i am the beautiful one.
(2)i am intelligent.
(3)i am getting engaged......  
Dinismurf
[Avatar]
lovely_cutiepie_zoya wrote:so here are mine
(1)i am the beautiful one.
(2)i am intelligent.
(3)i am getting engaged......

You need to edit your post to add a note at the bottom saying which one the lie is (see the examples above)... though i think I know.  
volo83
[Avatar]
Well....
I will confess...
I smoke.
I was a fat girl growing up, but am thin now.
Sometimes I think friends are more important than family, you can tell friends stuff you wouldn't tell family.

I 'm not thin! LOL  

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Mon, 7 Sep 2009 10:13

caboose22
[Avatar]
1) I like beer
2) I like cookies
3) I like beer and cookies  
emcall
[Avatar]
Hey, Boose. It's supposed to be three SURPRISING things. I don't think the items you listed surprised any of us. LOL Happy Labor Day. Have another beer.  
uhuru1701
[Avatar]
Okay, so this sounds like a fun game so I'll try.

1. I can't remember how many times I've been arrested.
2. I was once arrested for singing, "G-d Bless America."
3. A Hollywood pimp once told me he wanted me to be his Queen.

2. I was arrested for singing, "America the Beautiful," not "G-d Bless America." The Soviet government had rented out the L.A. Convention Center for a propaganda display of how wonderful life was under communism in the Soviet Union and the Jewish Defense League (of which I was a part) invaded. When we stopped in front of the Soviet banner declaring brotherhood for all people, Rabbi Kahane asked, "Does that include Jews?" and Irv Rubin asked, "What about the Christians? Don't forget about the Christians." And the FBI swooped in and grabbed everyone they assumed was in JDL leadership position and dragged them away. There were about 30 of us left so I gathered people in a circle around that brotherhood banner and started singing, "America the Beautiful." The cops swooped in and this time everyone got dragged off. Gosh, I didn't think my singing was all that bad. What're ya gonna do? Everyone's a critic. LOL.

So, as we were being hustled out of the Convention Center, one cop was a little rough with an old lady and she couldn't keep up so she fell and the cop holding me let go of me to grab her before she hit the ground. I stepped backward out of the line of arrestees which kept moving past me. One cop looked my way and asked, "Aren't you with this group?" and I said, "Nyeah... not me." And they kept moving along... without me. Lucky thing,too, because that left me free to get folks bailed out.

Communism sucks. It's not about people and it sure as heck isn't about freedom.

As for Number 1., this is true. I've been "arrested," handcuffed, thrown in the backs of police cars, dragged off so many times, I couldn't tell you how many times but in almost ALL instances, the cops let me go a few blocks away and just said to not return. Standard operating procedure. The one time I actually ended up in jail for the night, we'd invaded the French Consulate and that was against the wishes of the French government who protested to the State Dept. in Washington who sent the order down the line and all charges were dismissed. We'd been protesting France's declaration that the whole world should trade embargo against the United States post 1973 Yom Kippur War.

As for Number 3. This is also true. The pimp king looking for his Queen was leaning against the outside entrance to Swenson's Ice Cream Parlor on Hollywood Blvd. and he said something flirty as I walked by and I saw him for what he was and said, "You couldn't afford me," and he laughed and said he would make me his Queen. Oh joy. This guy was all tricked out like a Hollywood caricature of a pimp - straight from central casting but this was real to him. What a doofus, talking to "normal" girls who obviously weren't looking for his kind of "business." I did offer to buy him an ice cream.  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sat, 5 Nov 2011 15:15

sophidia
[Avatar]
1 I had to be rescued from a embracing ourang utan
2 I had fried bull balls for dinner in Spain
3 I have build a snowman in the snow and a sandcastle on a warm beach on the same day.

2 is a lie, my friends did have them not me

momaie
[Avatar]
1) We didn't have an inside bathroom until I was 10
2) I graduated high school when I was 15
3) I've had tea with my favourite actor

3 is not quite true; I've had tea with a lovely & lively older actress but Johnny Depp still eludes me & he is my favourite!  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mon, 7 Sep 2009 17:56

uhuru1701
[Avatar]
momaie wrote: 3 is not quite true; I've had tea with a lovely & lively older actress but Johnny Depp still eludes me & he is my favourite!

I sang karaoke with Gol Dukat - "Somethin' Stupid" by Frank and Nancy Sinatra. Too bad Marc wasn't in full Cardassian make-up. That would have been the perfect song for Gol Dukat.  
caboose22
[Avatar]
1.) I love Uhuru
2.) I love MaryBeth
3.) I love my wife  
Wingman36
[Avatar]
1. Uhuru loves me
2. MaryBeth loves me
3. Cabooses wife loves me  
007ofnine
[Avatar]
Uhuru, you're a real troublemaker! No wonder you and Gol Dukat get along so well!!!

Okay, 3 things about me:

1. When my (half) brother was a baby, people thought he was my son.
2. My brother is in the Air Force, even though he is color-blind.
3. I hate snakes.

And the lie is:
3. I actually love snakes - but I couldn't have one as a pet for 2 reasons: my cat wouldn't like it, and I would never be able to feed the snake anything with a backbone.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sat, 5 Nov 2011 15:17

DexGypMom
[Avatar]
Wingman36 wrote:1. Uhuru loves me
2. MaryBeth loves me
3. Cabooses wife loves me

All right you two......play by the rules of this challenge Dini gave us. I already know which ones are lies.

•••MaryBeth

Volunteer Forum Moderator

Wingman36
[Avatar]
We were supposed to lie? I guess I'm too honest to play this game, because all women love me.
I'll try again:

1. Greg spends an hour everyday fixing his hair, he says he has to look good in case anybody sees him
2. Greg put a snake in his moms bed and refused to move it until his mom made him cookies. Out of fear, she made the cookies
3. A group of us went to a strip club for my birthday last month and Greg made over $50 pole dancing on stage with the women  

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Tue, 8 Sep 2009 16:34

uhuru1701
[Avatar]
I have a question about #3. Were they paying him to get off the stage?  
joanietreb
[Avatar]
a) I am a certified SCUBA diver
b) I have a black belt in Judo
c) I have a teacher's certificate in Ikebana

So the lie is....

a) I only snorkle, i am afraid to go deeper than 10 feet  
joanietreb
[Avatar]
Why don't Greg & Jake follow directions? Dislexic?  
justhank
[Avatar]
1.) I have scored 500+ point words three times 600+ once.

2.) i can tear a white or yellow pages phone book in half with my bare hands. no tricks.

3) i wish i was as cool as caboose and wingman.

just kidding boys. but , lines one and two are true.  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sat, 5 Nov 2011 15:19

caboose22
[Avatar]
Are you asking me out?  
uhuru1701
[Avatar]
caboose22 wrote:Are you asking me out?

I'm telling Eve.  
emcall
[Avatar]
1) I can play 4 different musical instruments.
2) I was Employee of the Year at the hotel where I worked
3) My father owned and drove a AA-fuel race car

I really only play 2 instruments: flute and piano  
Dinismurf
[Avatar]
justhank wrote:i can tear a white or yellow pages phone book in half with my bare hands.

Ooh, so manly!
justhank wrote:I have scored 500+ point words three times 600+ once

... and so smart!  
joanietreb
[Avatar]
caboose22 wrote:Joanietreb, the correct spelling of your word is Dyslexic and its a disability that some people have and cant be helped. I'm lucky to not have it, and so is Wingman. My sister does have it, and has worked very hard during her lifetime to overcome it. If your putting down our education, you can't even spell the word that your trying to say, so dont even go there. I take offense to your comment. It wasn't nice at all, my sister would be upset by it if she saw it. And so would my mother, who is on iwin and could possible see it. My sister is a very bright woman with a very good heart. I would like an apology.

I DID follow the rules the first time but, based on Wingmand and Justhanks comments, I need to do this again (wingman = Jake)

1.) If Hank is more cool than Jake, then I am more cool than Hank
2.) If Jake is more cool than Hank, then I am more cool than Jake
3.) If Jake and Hank are equally cool, then I am more cool than them both

I do offer you my humblest apology, It was meant to be a tiny tease about men not reading instructions. SORRY.
Thank you Uhuru for knowing my intentions and sticking up for me. My Shodan belt in Judo can come in very handy, the gentle way.
Am I forgiven?
Maybe I am "lexdisicy"

Yet the instructions do say scroll down and reveal the lie-where is your reveal?  

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Wed, 9 Sep 2009 12:03

joanietreb
[Avatar]
a) Greg is cool
b) Greg is the spelling police
c) Greg likes beer

And the lie is...

(ask caboose22 for the real answer)  
hjhamnd
[Avatar]
Okay here it goes.
1. I was almost arrested for burglary when I was seven.
2. I have eight siblings.
3. I tried to give away my baby brother when my mom and dad brought him home from the hospital.

1. True: An older friend got the bright idea, i was dumb enough to go along, she stole the money and I stole the candy. we weren't arrested, but I thought the deputy sheriff there was going to take me away. Scared me enough I never done anything like that again.
2. FaIse: actually have seven siblings, six older and one younger. 4 boys and 4 girls. Mom always said "What one doesn't think of another one will."
3. True: I was at my friends house and her mom was talking about my baby brother, she said " A baby! I would love to have a baby!" and I told her "You can have our's, we have clothes for him and everything." She called mom that evening and was laughing and telling her, mom didn't laugh very much, at least not for a couple of years. lol ! but hey I had been the baby for over seven years and this squalling thing came in and took over! I love him now but it took almost a year.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Wed, 9 Sep 2009 12:57

Dinismurf
[Avatar]
hjhamnd wrote: I was at my friends house and her mom was talking about my baby brother, she said " A baby! I would love to have a baby!" and I told her "You can have our's, we have clothes for him and everything."

Something similar happened to me once when I was traveling in Cambodia. Was talking to a group of women who all had lots of kids & were amazed that I had none. Then one told me "I have 7 children, but I don't have any sunglasses. We should swap," and offered me the skinny, rather whiny baby she was carrying.

She looked genuinely disappointed when I refused the trade.  
hjhamnd
[Avatar]
That's funny! LMAO!!  
007ofnine
[Avatar]
joanietreb wrote:Why don't Greg & Jake follow directions? Dislexic?

No, male!

caboose22
[Avatar]
joanietreb wrote:a) Greg is cool
c) Greg likes beer

And the lie is...

Are you asking me out?  
emcall
[Avatar]
caboose22 wrote:
c) Greg likes beer

And the lie is...

Are you asking me out?

I'd say the apology was accepted, Jtreb.

And BTW, Greg, we all have those subjects that hit close to home. Glad you can see that no harm was intended and that Jtreb was able to see where it could hurt someone's feelings.
Way to work it out, you guys. Peace has indeed returned to "beerville"!  
joanietreb
[Avatar]
caboose22 wrote:
c) Greg likes beer

And the lie is...

Are you asking me out?

I would like it if you and family join us for Happy Hour, Obama is bringing the beer  
maestroclique
[Avatar]
Here are my three things:

a) I was offered a place in a Computer Engineering degree at University when I was 15
b) I am ambidextrous
c) I was born two months premature

And the answers:

a) True - However I decided that it wasn't for me. I ended up volunteering on film sets, skipping the Bachelors and went straight on to graduate with a Masters in Film and Digital Image.
b) False - Although I was born left handed. I broke my arm when I was 4 years old. Because it had gone so long without being treated it took forever to mend and my parents would not have me miss out on school. So I had to learn all over again to write with my other hand.
c) True - My mom tells me that she boarded a flight from Paris, France to Vientiane, Laos when she was 7 months pregnant and when she got off the plane, she had to be rushed to hospital. I was born the very next afternoon.  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sat, 5 Nov 2011 15:12

barbie0251
[Avatar]
My three things:
1. I am way cool and so is my best friend.
2. The last time my friend was arrested, she got out of the handcuffs three times, and opened the car door for the ************** cop.
3. Caboose is the spelling police.

Sorry Caboose, dyslexia is not initial cap. Or so I'm told. It's not a proper noun or someone's name. Keep trying. I know how u r.

edited to remove inappropriate wording; please keep it PG! Dee, moderator  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sun, 14 Feb 2010 18:18

honk1
[Avatar]
Hi all. This does sound like fun. O.k., here it goes:

1. I am the oldest of 5, myself, a brother and two sisters.
2. I was a licensed minister
3. I was an executive with Hewlett - Packard at Corporate in Palo Alto California

One is wrong. I am the baby of four. My brother passed away when he was three yrs old.
The rest are correct.

kisho1
[Avatar]
first caboose and uhuru what is up wit u to.
second i'll give it a try

1.i spriend my ancle 2 months ago and it still hasnt healed.
2.i am the youngest of 16 cusins.
3.i almost died by getting hit by a softball.

1 is a lie i did that 1 month ago  
bitemenow2010
[Avatar]
1. I have a degree in theology
2. I am obsessed with vampires
3. I make and sell a line of jewelry

#2 is NOT true. The name bite me now is an attitude saying, not a vampire culture thing as some people think.  
skip517
[Avatar]
1. I have been to California, Mexico, Cuba, several Caribbean islands and Canada, but nowhere else in the world.

2. I was once the senior network engineer of a major technology company, even though my highest academic degree is from a 2 year college.

3. I am a private pilot and fly aeorbatic airplanes for fun.

What are you looking here for? You haven't scrolled far enough!

1. Is true. I am thinking of visiting Nevada or Oregon someday.
2. Is true. Compared to Steve Jobs (RIP) and Bill Gates, I'm over-educated.
3. Is false, but my wife is a pilot. The part about aerobatics is true, but I always have an instructor on board.  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sat, 5 Nov 2011 15:12

ppineapple
[Avatar]
Oooh... this sounds like a fun little game for everyone! I will join in to this conversation. Other than just having 3 surprising things, let's have 4 surprising things and 1 fake statement to make this a little more interesting.

Here come the answer choices...

A) I was born in a little town in Pennsylvania and my mother named me by my great-great-grandmother's first name.
B) My horseback riding skills are shockingly fantastic because my daughter begged me to ride a horse on our vacation in Arizona.
C) I went to college, but after several days, my parents needed me back home immediately to bring up a devastating event happening in our family.
D) My husband and I didn't have our honeymoon after our wedding since our flight to the Caribbeans was canceled.

The answer will be revealed... in the morning on Sunday, so stay tuned.  
3lyndy
[Avatar]
Hi
Dinismurf, thanks for this, yes a great game to play with students, hope you don't mind if I borrow your idea?

1. I am tall, blonde & slim.
2. I don't know if I have any siblings.
3. I adore cats.

1. True, but skinny is more descriptive than slim lol
2. True, my Dad left Mum when I was 3, they never divorced, but I don't know what he's been doing for 30 years lol
3. False, cats look great in photos or at a distance, but I can't bear them near me or touching me, sorry cat lovers.  

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sat, 5 Nov 2011 15:21

3lyndy
[Avatar]
kisho1 wrote:first caboose and uhuru what is up wit u to.
second i'll give it a try

1.i spriend my ancle 2 months ago and it still hasnt healed.
2.i am the youngest of 16 cusins.
3.i almost died by getting hit by a softball.

1 is a lie i did that 1 month ago

Hi Kisho
How did number 3 happen? A softball?
Lyn  
ppineapple
[Avatar]
I'm back with my answer to be revealed, the fake statement was... C)! I did leave college, but my parents thought I was a little more advanced to go to college so I ended up with marriage and now, my husband, is working as a lawyer and all is well. My boutique store ownership is still intact, but I'm currently in a trade-owner agreement with another person.

A) I was born in Carbondale, Pennsylvania, a town near Scranton, and my family decided to name me after my great-great grandmother's first name because we wanted to run a tradition, however I chose to break the tradition by naming my daughter a different name. Some people know my daughter's name here so I can just finish this one up.

B) On our trip to Phoenix, Arizona, we went to a very good horse stable business, the Ponderosa Stables Inc. My daughter begged me so much I just had to give in to riding a fully trained horse. An instructor taught me how to control the velocity of the horse and I've been riding it for 3 hours until I became a skilled horseback rider. My daughter was really excited to see me ride the horse, she was amazed.

D) On our day of our honeymoon, there was snow blocked up on the runways of the airport. Almost every single flight at the airport was canceled so it was our very unlucky day. Since the nearest international airport was in Hartford and my husband and I lived in New Haven, it was a pretty rough morning trying to reach the airport and driving back is just disappointing. We're hoping to make up that lost time when we had time to enjoy soon.

Font reduced to normal size (12). Please stick to normal size font when posting; a word here and there in larger font is fine but that's it...Dee, volunteer moderator  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sun, 6 Nov 2011 06:36

Forum Index » Chatter Central
Go to: