What would you do if you suddenly won millions of dollars?: iWin Forums

Welcome back  !

Make life simple!

Connect your Facebook account and enjoy all of iWin's games and benefits!

Connect with Facebook No, thank you
iWin Forums, the place to meet, ask, and chat.

[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Groups] Forums Home 

What would you do if you suddenly won millions of dollars?
Forum Index » Chatter Central
kielia727
[Avatar]
This is a well worn topic but I think it could be fun.

Rules are only as follows. Please keep it fun, don't be offensive, etc.. I am looking forward to hearing from you all.
I will start it off with one of my fantasys. After buying a new vehicle and eating all the lobster, scallops and GOOD blue cheese dressing I can hold I would rent a warehouse and then hit every garage sale in the city!  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Fri, 11 Sep 2009 17:26

ponycarmom
[Avatar]
sound's like a good idea, only i'll skip the lobster, and go for the shrimp. finish restoreing my car, don't want new one, every rummage sale in town? that's fun, i've gone to city wide rummage and estate sale's while on vacation. i would also reopen the animal rescue i used to help out at, which closed because the lady who ran it found out she had cancer, so i'd re-open it. pay off a loan and bank some to collect interest. sit back and spoil the critter's! and look for my 73 mustang,and buy it and restore it and sell my LTD!  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:49

kielia727
[Avatar]
Money for the animal rescue is fabulous. So is restoring your car. After my month of garage sales there are so many things I would like to do. Figuring out exactly where I want to live would be a big one. If I could live in any location I wanted I don't know if I could ever choose. Setting up programs in areas that need them would also be fantastic. Travel to places I've always wanted to go is also appealing
One of the things I've wanted to do for a long time even though it's silly and I am told is no longer possible is to sleep within the circle of stones at Stonehenge. ( I wish these little boxes we type in had spell check.)  
007ofnine
[Avatar]
You mean after I finish freaking out?

First I'd arrange a tax shelter so I get to actually keep the money instead of giving it to the IRS.

Next, I'd pay off all my debts - credit card, doctor bill, infinitely deferred student loan....

Then, set up a fund so I can live off the interest so I never have to worry about working ever again.

Then a house and a hybrid car, do some traveling, donate to the Humane Society and ASPCA, buy some good clothes, try all the exotic foods I've always wanted to try, take quilting lessons, buy a BIG stash of yarn and a set of knitting needles in all sizes of regular, circular, and double-pointed. And a big stash of beads too. And one of those Kindles so I can carry 10 books in the space of 1. And all the other electronic toys I've been lusting after.

goofyduck1
[Avatar]
I would move to Ireland, find a small cottage on the cliffs above the sea, adopt a basset hound and learn Celtic.  
kielia727
[Avatar]
Freaking out if I won all those millions is something I try not to think about. In reality it would probably cause me to have a heart attack and die before I could ever spend a penny. LOL  
puzzlfrk53
[Avatar]
I'm with goofyduck! I want to move to Ireland, buy a cottage on the sea, and learn Celtic, too! That's been my dream since just about forever. But, since I've already made that wish, why not add raising Connemara ponies? That would be fun! Or, maybe, instead of just a cottage by the sea, why not one of the islands there. Dream big!  
kielia727
[Avatar]
I find the Irish thing great since a large part of my heitage is Irish.When I was a little girl I watched the movie Thomasina (sp?) and immediately wanted to live in Ireland.

Now, if I could live anywhere I would want mountains and ocean in the same location. If I could not have the ocean a mountain lake would work.  
Zombing
[Avatar]
If I won a million dollars.... it's easy... I'd spend it all on OPALS!!!  
Zombing
[Avatar]
Not sure about all these IRISH references though. I was there earlier this year. It was cold, windy and rained all the time. PLUS you have to eat potatoes with everything and drink the 'black stuff' all the time! Friendly people yes, but the weather????

007ofnine
[Avatar]
I wanna go to Hawaii and Australia! Australia is the most exotic place on Earth, but they speak English there. How cool is that!

Dinismurf
[Avatar]
Not sure about all the Irish references either. All these people with their millions of dollars are pushing property prices up so much, I've had to move to China to afford a decent home!

And by the way, you can't learn Celtic, only be it. The language of Ireland is Erse, Irish or (Irish) Gaelic.

As for you, Zombing, be grateful you had something to eat with your potatoes. The traditional Irish diet was potatoes with potatoes... and we loved it!

My million would be spent on an architect-designed clifftop property with swimming pool on a small island in the Philippines, and starting a fund with what was left to put fencing (embedded to burrowing depth) all along motorways, to stop bunnies hopping across to their deaths.  
caboose22
[Avatar]
I would buy Cookies and a case of beer  
emcall
[Avatar]
caboose22 wrote:I would buy Cookies and a case of beer

Hey, Caboose, that's what you already do. So what you are saying is that winning a million dollars would not change you at all.
Wow. How COOL is that?!?!  
caboose22
[Avatar]
Cookies and Beer are cool  
Judogirl53
[Avatar]
I think what I would do after the shock is pay off my mothers house, buy me a car that works, and put the rest in bank account that can't be touched except by me for my retirement whenever that will be.....  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:06

maestroclique
[Avatar]
As it says "millions" in the subject heading, I will go all out and buy a modest house and car each for my mom, dad and selected extended family members who haven't already got a place of their own. I'll also buy one for myself as well as a modest, reliable car. I'll put enough away so that I can earn interest (the equivalent of a decent salary) on it each year, start up a business I can operate from home that allows me to be creative, travel the world (again) and this time also go to all the places I missed and last but not least, donate sizeable sums to organisations such as the Greenheart Foundation in order to help with unexploded ordnance (UXO) bomb removal in Laos.  
jayway7196
[Avatar]
LOTS OF MONEY--YES PLEASE.first i would buy stretchy bandages, and loads of medicines, enough to fill a cargo plane. then i would ship them off to Brooke, Ace and Awol in Luxor, Egypt. after i hired a troop of vets and teachers for a year to work there i could go visit and not feel so guilty about being poor (in money) and only being able to give small gifts. thats my dream----- oh and lots of barratts sherbert fountains for me ! ! !  
12terianne
[Avatar]
I think the first thing I would do is make sure my parents have everything they could ever want or need.
Also pay off all debts for my brother, sister and myself. Put enough away to live on, and make sure that my daughter,neices and nephew
have college funds. And maybe a trip to Italy to finally meet some of my family.  
joanietreb
[Avatar]
I would convert $ to gold coins, put them in chests and bury them in various locations around world beaches. Let the fun begin.  
baronrae
[Avatar]
I would pay off my house, bUy a compact car (I have a SUV), pay-off my daughter's student loans, pay for a college education for my son and put the rest in CD's for later; living off the dividends and my military retirement.
MOST OF ALL, I WOULD NOT TELL ANYONE ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! KEEP THE BUZZARDS AT BAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Wed, 7 Oct 2009 12:08

jewelicious
[Avatar]
LOL joanietreb. Talk about spreading the joy.  
l4dyh4wk2
[Avatar]
Well lots of things come to mind. Of course the first thing I'd need to do would be to get a good lawyer & financial planner/consultant. After that I'm not sure what order I would do this in but...
I would build a "green" rancher w/solar panels, geothermal & wind energy designed like a Spanish / Mexican (?) Hasienda with a central courtyard / garden
I'd have my Mom come live with me & we would have a green house so we could grow our own fruits & veggies.
I'd pay off all loans & credit cards for Mom, myself & my daughters.
Invest in GOLD
Buy hybred cars for each of us.
Get GOOD HEALTH INS policy like the Politicians/Congress have!
Setup a fund/tax shelter ensuring income for the rest of my life that would be enough to live comfortably on no matter what (inflation/depression/recession/etc)
Make sure that there are trusts in place for my girls
Travel to places I've always wanted to see
Set up foundations that would help those with Diabetes & Fibromyalsia
Give to certain causes that are important to me like breast cancer, single mothers, womens health issues, abuse(child, spousal, animal), environmental
Turn my hobby into a business so I can do what I enjoy
Have a party for all my friends from iWin so we could meet face to face.
Relax... knowing that I can pay all my bills on time without worring where the $$$ is going to come from or what I'll have to give up

goofyduck1
[Avatar]
Dinismurf wrote:And by the way, you can't learn Celtic, only be it. The language of Ireland is Erse, Irish or (Irish) Gaelic.

I meant learn Celtic as in history, traditions, folklore, etc., not the actual language which I know is Erse Irish Gaelic. I am Irish, too.  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Wed, 21 Oct 2009 21:41

ShayeraHol
[Avatar]
I would pay off my student loans and my family's debts,
further my education, and move to Alaska to teach
school.

Oh, I'd also donate to the hospital that saved my life
as an infant, give a bit to our local animal shelter
and husky/malamute rescue, and share some with
the homeless shelters in Denver. We have so many
here with no food, no job, and no place to live.  
beyoncerox
[Avatar]
I would spend it on skinny jeans,Nike Air Force 1's,and buy gum.  

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Thu, 10 Jun 2010 21:30

Dinismurf
[Avatar]
l4dyh4wk2 wrote:
Turn my hobby into a business so I can do what I enjoy

LOL, good for you, Ladyhawk - and for your husband, I guess!  
eve286
[Avatar]

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Tue, 9 Feb 2010 12:06

joanietreb
[Avatar]
eve286 wrote:Sweetheart (Caboose22) I know now you are spending all our money on cookies and beer...you are SOOOOOOOO BUSTED ! No chance of me becoming a millionare!

But I still love YOU

Eve, you are invited to grab a shovel and visit the beach of your choice-just dig where the big X is and you will have your own millions  
jewelicious
[Avatar]
Eve. I can toally relate. Although in my case I have to add rare and out of print books to the cookies and beer. I am thinking of buying shares in ebay. It's the only way we will see a return on our money.  
NutkittenA
[Avatar]
Wonder when I would be waking up!  
liveoutloud
[Avatar]
i would have a mall crawl! Looking fab but really i already do! i would by me 2 more sattel breads, i already have 1. try not to pass out with my backstage passes to c TAYLOR SWIFT.  
jerrygoh
[Avatar]
I would buy some stuff and STILL lead a normal life  
honk1
[Avatar]
kielia727 wrote:I find the Irish thing great since a large part of my heitage is Irish.When I was a little girl I watched the movie Thomasina (sp?) and immediately wanted to live in Ireland.

Now, if I could live anywhere I would want mountains and ocean in the same location. If I could not have the ocean a mountain lake would work.

Santa Cruz California!  
honk1
[Avatar]
Pay of my daughters home, and taxes. 10% to my local Hospice.
Giv each of my sisters a portion and each of their children a portion. Uncle Sam would get a little more than half, so that liits the rest. Yes, donate a large portion to a rescue I use to volunteer at full time.

Nuy clothes that fit. Thyroid caused me to gain scads of weitght now that meds wok all my clothes fall of if I walk fast.

Get a card to buy ga,es from this siote and pay for sites for me to do indepth searched of my lineage.  
honk1
[Avatar]
caboose22 wrote:I would buy Cookies and a case of beer

UUgg! Beer and coolies? i cannot imagine the taste conflict. How about a cow and all the Oreos - Yum, yum!  
Lillybooboo
[Avatar]
If I won a million dollars TODAY, I would tithe 10% first and then give my 2 kids some of it, put some up for my grandbaby, give some to hubby's parents and my parents. Have some dental work done for me and hubby that we have put off. Then for myself, I would either pay off our SUV and truck or go ahead and buy new Hybrids. Then just a couple new pieces of funiture that I want. Give some to the SPCA, Duke's Chidrens Hospital and the Red Cross. Then plan and pay for my hubby and my funerals, so my kids don't have to do it. And then put the rest up to add to our social security payments that we will get when we turn eligible.  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Thu, 14 Jan 2010 21:05

jayway7196
[Avatar]
I would buy two farms, one in portugal for the summer and one in Luxor for the winter,both with live-in staff. Then i would build the stable block and operating theatre and anything else my favourite charity AWOL.Egypr.org needs to make their lives a little easier. In October i would have the month in U.S.A and do all the Halloween events--BRILLIANT  
Master_Gamer1
[Avatar]
Can I exchange it all for opals? lol
but really I would get a brand new porshe buy my wife anything she wanted and also my 2 boys would start a college savings the rest would go to game consoles and games  
Diana54901
[Avatar]
First I would cry until I couldn't shed a tear anymore. Then I would pay all my bills off and be completely debt free. Then I would donate some to local domestic abuse shelters, homeless shelters, food pantries. Theeeeeen, I would go to MAYO clinic and hopefully find a spinal surgeon to fix my cervical fusion that a doctor in Vegas botched and left me in agonizing pain and huge medical bills for the past 8 years! (then I'd cry some more ... with happiness!)

dianacrane
[Avatar]
Pay off debts, start a Beagle rescue (other than the one in my house) go back to Europe for a good long trip, pay off my brother's school loans, no new car--no point with the Beagles--Oh, I know, buy the other half of my duplex, poke holes between (with the help of an architect) and have a giant house.  
Scythia
[Avatar]
First thing, set up my daughters with college funds with LOTS of rules.
Second, set up my retirement fund, buy a house outright. Nothing terribly austentacious, just better than our current one.
Third, since we don't have a lot of debt now, I'd make sure my parents and Grandmother were taken care of so they can relax in their retirement.
Then:
I'd buy a huge RV and take my daughters on a homeschool trip across the fantastic U.S.A, taking them to all the museums, battle fields, and historical places starting here in Oregon and going to every state in the lower 48. We would take a cruise to Alaska, and a plane to Hawaii and learn all we could about history, people, and really educate them rather than reading books! I homeschool now, but I can't imagine how fantastic it would be to actually go to the places we read about. We would do the US first and then off to Europe for more history!
Then we'd come home, settle down in our house and live normally regardless of the money.  
pandie1
[Avatar]
I would get some land and build a house.....that would be about it in this area! lol

marykruger
[Avatar]
Hi EVERYONE !

What a wonderful Thought. I would grab all my Children & Grandchildren ,Friends and great nieghbors....... Move to F I J I . Buy a beautiful Solar Home with Organic Garden ( all on Drip system ) Fruit & nut tress Expansive Ocean View..... The cleanest air on the Planet... Then I would watch my babies paly in the Sunshine, laugh everyday, and I would live a life of bliss.

Mary K. The Perky One Felling very Perky at the thought.

corey0
[Avatar]
FIRST I WOULD TAKE CARE OF MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS SO WE WOULDN'T HAVE TO STRUGGLE ANYMORE,THEN I WOULD START A BUSINESS THAT HELPS OUT THE UNFORTUNATE,I WOULD ALSO START A SUPPORT GROUP FOR WOMEN WHO HAVE LOST CHILDREN TO VIOLENCE BASED IN (NEW ORLEANS)..THERE'S ALOT I WOULD DO HONESTLY I HATE TO SEE PEOPLE STRUGGLE,I WOULD DO WHATEVER I COULD TO HELP OUT ANYONE IN NEED!!!!!

Please don't shout...On the internet, all caps means you are yelling and I'm sure you don't mean to yell at your iWin friends... . Please read the Topics & Guidelines at this link for more information on posting to the Chatter Central Forum. Thank you. Dee, volunteer moderator

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sun, 12 Jun 2011 17:18

suan1
[Avatar]
I would give some to our pastor and his wife to help them get out of dept,i owuld probaly buya house witha swimming pool,and go to disney land with my bff  
daboyzrmine
[Avatar]
92marilou
[Avatar]
Hi
I'm in Spain & the EuroMillions Lottery is on tonight with a record 130 Million Euros as first prize!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Think this is the highest ever here.
Hubby made me buy 2 x lines - don't usually even enter.
If no one on iwin hears from me for a while, you'll know why - takes a while to buy a private jet LOL
Then I can visit you all YAHOO!  
nicoleherdahl
[Avatar]
First off I would put some of it in the bank for college! Then I would take my family out to eat at a nice restraunt! After this nice meal my mom and I would go to the Mall Of America!! With the money that is left I would take my family to Texas where we have relatives! We would stay in a 5 star hotel and order room service after our long flight.. I mean hey we have a million dollars to spend!  
bitemenow2010
[Avatar]
Invest carefully and live off the income it generates.  

Forum Index » Chatter Central
Go to: