Pet's Names and Why.: iWin Forums

Welcome back  !

Make life simple!

Connect your Facebook account and enjoy all of iWin's games and benefits!

Connect with Facebook No, thank you
iWin Forums, the place to meet, ask, and chat.

[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Groups] Forums Home 

Pet's Names and Why.
Forum Index » Chatter Central
emcall
[Avatar]
What is/was your pet's name and why did you choose that name?

There are some very interesting pet names out there. Anyone interested in telling their story?

Our cat's name is Angel. Our son and his friends found her in the gutter one snowy January day several years ago. She was less that six weeks old. They decided she should go home with the kid who stood the best chance of keeping her. They also decided that her name was SnowAngel. She was solid white with pink nose, and fit in my hands with room left over. I asked him why the name SnowAngel, and he said they all thought she must be an Angel, to be able to live in that snow until they found her, and that she looked just like the snow. The softies that we are, my husband and I agreed to keep her. That was long years ago, and Angel has us well trained to meet her wants and needs.

He named our Standard Poodle Callie, after a cartoon character he adored.
He named the other Standard Poodle Sandie, because she was the color of the sand.

The kids found another kitten a few years later and named it Shaker, because it was the color of salt and pepper.  
uhuru1701
[Avatar]
My Mom and I were leaving a market and I was just about to start up the car when she said to wait because she could hear a baby kitten meowing somewhere in the parking lot. I couldn't hear it but I got out of th ecar to go look for it when a tiny black bullet streaked out of th ebushes and into parking lot traffic and a man ran at it to grab it but this tiny kitten made a sudden left turn and practically jumped into my arms. He was absolutely terrified.

We're dog people and we were not intending to keep this cat. We were going to take it to a shelter. Not being cat people, we forgot that kitten would need a litter box and since none was available, the cat made his own by shredding newspaper and doing his poopie on that. We were so impressed by this kitten's intelligence and how he seemed to be putting us on trial that we thought we'd keep him another day or two.

Since we weren't going to keep him permanantly, we never named him. We just called him Kitty. And that's the name that stuck, the one he'd answer to. He picked that name because he responded to only that name. And that was over 18 years ago.

Kitty is a real medical assist animal to both me and my Mom. He's saved my Mom's life three times when her blood sugar was too low and he came and got me. He keeps an eye on her and tells me when she pulls the oxygen cannula out of her nose. He also keeps an eye on me when I'm asleep. I suffer from the most severe sleep apnea the sleep center has ever seen and Kitty prefers to sleep across my chest or stomach and if it stops moving for too long, he'll wake me up and if his kitty breath and meowing in my face doesn't wake me up, he'll gouge me with his claws then jump like h*ll to get away because I don't wake up nice that way. The vet says that our bodies give off different scents depending on certain chemicals and that's how dogs can predict an epileptic seizure and he thinks maybe Kitty smelled a different scent from my Mom when her blood sugar was too low.

Kitty hates it when I use the V-pap machine because the air blasting out of it makes it too uncomfortable for him to lay across my chest. He has to sleep at my feet. But, sooner or later at some point in the night, I rip that thing off my face and Kitty takes up his position and many times I finally wake up to see Kitty back in his old spot and the V-pap thing on top of my head or crammed down in the recliner chair where I sleep next to my Mom's hospital bed. I'm shocked it's still in one piece, it gets abused so much.

Anyway, Kitty is Kitty because we never named him so he picked his own name.  
puzzlfrk53
[Avatar]
I've had so many pets, it's hard to recall the why's of naming! But my children(while at home) were instrumental in naming our pets for a while. Now it's my granddaughter. ET was named by my youngest because that was his favorite movie at the time. He was a beautiful striped kitten, very mysterious and very loving. Then there was Frisky, a very ornery calico who wouldn't stay indoors when she was in heat, so had 3 litters of kittens! She was a good mother, but stalked my daughter in the dark to attack her ankles. Frisky also stole my very best, most expensive yarns, and would hide them for a while. Then we would wake up some morning to find that she'd used my good yarn to tie up the kitchen table and chairs into such a mess it would take me half an hour or more to untangle! She also stole my husbands keys, figured out how to open the bathroom window to escape, and other feisty things. She was a real handful. We had a guinea pig at the time, and she used to corner him in his cage, hold him down and clean him all over. He would squeal, but he put up with it. However, she somehow managed to get the lid off my daughter's gerbil cage one night, and ate her gerbil. That was uncool.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:33

007ofnine
[Avatar]
My sister and I feel that the best names for pets are the kind you would name your children, although with pets you have the option of going old-fashioned and/or uncommon. So her cats are Tasha, Cleo, Millie, and Roxanne, and the dogs are Caitlin and Danny.

My cat went through several names until I settled on Wendy. I thought I had picked the name out of a mental hat, but later realized it was the first name of my food stamp case worker.

My mom has very little imagination when it comes to animal names. Our first cat when we were little was a Siamese who my mom named Pywacket, Pye (or "Pie") for short, after the cat in the movie Bell, Book, and Candle. A few years ago, she was adopted by a pregnant cat whom she named Kitty Katt. The cat had 4 kittens, one of which she still has. His name is Mr. Kitty. Like I said, no imagination.

One of my stepsisters always names her pets after foods. She's had Muffin, Cupcake, and I don't know what else. We had goats once and she managed to talk us into naming them Sugar, Spice, Salt, and Pepper. No joke!!!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Thu, 24 Sep 2009 13:32

momaie
[Avatar]
I remember a gorgeous Shepherd/collie cross we had when I was young that we named Princess, not sure why. She was never allowed in the house but she stood guard over all of us when we were outside, which was a lot! Kept us out of the road, the neighbour's field when the bull was there and let mom know we had climbed the tree when Mom wondered where we were all hiding...

My cat, the true Lady of the manor, is called Maeve because my eldest daughter read the name in a book & loved it. She'a a delicate 5 lb long-haired calico fluff ball...

The latest addition, my daughter's cat, weighs 20 lbs (not overweight according to the vet, just the way he's built...), is all black, looks a lot like a panther or cougar, has fangs and is over 30 inches long from nose to end of tail...he was a regular little hellion when he was a kitten. We named him Shadan, a mix between Satan and Shadow... he's so black, we trip over him in dark halls...lol  
maestroclique
[Avatar]
My mom and I have a soft spot for strays so we are forever taking them in. When the brood got too large we had to give some away. Through the years we've had a mixture of guinea pigs, dogs and cats. I am sure there might be a name or two I've forgotten:

Maxim, Spotty, Daisy, Lucky, Scruffy, Jasper, Minute, Maximillian, Honey, Sasha, Honey, Cous Cous, Christie, Mimi, Grandma, Oliver, Romeo, Juliet, Eddie, Freddie, Ernie, Remy, Crystal, BJ, Cee Cee, Oliver II, Andy, Trevor

I guess the strangest name we've given is "Grandma" for one of our cats. Like the others, she was a stray that would come and visit us from time to time. For the longest time we didn't give her an official name but then we suspected that she was the mom of another white cat we'd taken in (Oliver). He'd grown up to be quite a handsome cat and we joked that she'd be a grandma pretty soon lol  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sat, 26 Sep 2009 19:41

emcall
[Avatar]
The mother of one of my son's friends recently told me she named her new cat Venus. She said she has always named her cats Venus. Even the boys. This is her 5th Venus. When I asked her why, she said she did not know, she just liked the name. Go figure.  
puzzlfrk53
[Avatar]
Our last several animals have all (but one) been named after Gods/Goddesses. We had a cat who thought he was a dog, so we named him Anubis, after the Egytpian dog-faced god. And our Border-Collie/German Shepherd was SUPPOSED to be Isis, to match, but my granddaughter named her Jewel, instead. Then we had several ferrets: Zues, Hercules, Chaos, and Zephyr. At the same time, we had a huge French Lop named Apollo. Since then, we acquired two more dogs: Artemis (a German Shepherd/Chow mix) and Osiris (a Cocker Spaniel/Poodle). I rather like this trend!  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Wed, 30 Sep 2009 19:45

breandan
[Avatar]
I have a peek-a-poo named Pyper, I'm a celt so I give all my pets celtic names . I was passing a store where there was a lady who was trying to adopt out stray animals that she had found. I saw Pyper and just fell in love. The most amazing thing about her is, I have an illness where the symptoms can happen without warning, but she knows hours ahead of time that it's coming and is able to let me know. She is such a gift. She is 18yrs old and still going strong, however because of her age, I got a new peek-a-poo, Brigit, and she is able to do the same thing. I am so blessed. I'm not afraid to be alone anymore  
ponycarmom
[Avatar]
deleted  

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Thu, 12 Aug 2010 23:14

emcall
[Avatar]
Wow, hj. That's a lot of animals. And you remember them all with such clarity. I bet you had a neat childhood. Your parents sound like really nice people.  
tabs2
[Avatar]
my cats name is mooch kitty. thats because shes a big mooch when your eating she wants some.  
tabs2
[Avatar]
i have 2 cats 2 dogs 2 horses 1 rabbit and 5 cows 1bull  
tabs2
[Avatar]
theres mooch,vester thats the cats. sadie,jj are the dogs. snowbunnie the rabbit. snowball and ruffels the horses.t-bone is my cow. and little curly is the bull.  
hjhamnd
[Avatar]
emcall wrote:Wow, hj. That's a lot of animals. And you remember them all with such clarity. I bet you had a neat childhood. Your parents sound like really nice people.

I had a great childhood. My parents are the best (I may be a little biased) and with seven brothers and sisters I had ready made best friends. We never had a lot of money but we did have a lot of love. I remember when we had Charlie Brown, a dachshund, the neighbor's little female dachshund, her name was Crissy, used to come over everyday and my little brother would let her in the house and say "Charlie Brown, your girlfriend is here!" and they would play and run through the house for about 2-3 hours, then she would go to the door, we'd let her out and she'd go home. We got Charlie Brown from the pound for my dad's father's day present after our dog Bozo died. We always seemed to pick up strays too. Always felt sorry for them, start feeding them and then they were ours. I have some great memories and I can't remember a time we didn't have a pet or two or three.....lol!  

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Tue, 20 Oct 2009 02:51

NutkittenA
[Avatar]
My loving puppy just passed about a month ago from heat stroke. I miss her so much. Her name...........PUP-A-WUMPS!

Our first dog had a litter, all stillborn but one.....Pup-a-Wumps. We would talk to her in GA-GA-GO-GO baby talk and puppy wuppy became Pup-a-Wumps.

Just to say how I could miss her so after only knowing her for 7 months! She was so attached to me that I couldn't even shower alone. She would stand with her front paws on the edge of the tub and watch and wait for me. She died in my arms on the way to the vet.

My crying and carrying on made the veterinarian feel so bad that the charge for an emergency call on a Sunday evening was.......$0.00! I couldn't believe that that kind of compassion was still around these days! I will never forget that Dr. or my Pup-a-Wumps!

I better stop...I feel like crying!

Nutkitten  
hjhamnd
[Avatar]
NutkittenA wrote:My loving puppy just passed about a month ago from heat stroke. I miss her so much. Her name...........PUP-A-WUMPS!

Our first dog had a litter, all stillborn but one.....Pup-a-Wumps. We would talk to her in GA-GA-GO-GO baby talk and puppy wuppy became Pup-a-Wumps.

Just to say how I could miss her so after only knowing her for 7 months! She was so attached to me that I couldn't even shower alone. She would stand with her front paws on the edge of the tub and watch and wait for me. She died in my arms on the way to the vet.

My crying and carrying on made the veterinarian feel so bad that the charge for an emergency call on a Sunday evening was.......$0.00! I couldn't believe that that kind of compassion was still around these days! I will never forget that Dr. or my Pup-a-Wumps!

I better stop...I feel like crying!

Nutkitten

Sorry for your loss. With anyone who loves animals it doesn't take long to get attached, sometimes it's "one look and you're hooked".  
ponycarmom
[Avatar]
nutkitten, i feel for you.  

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Thu, 12 Aug 2010 23:15

springmist775
[Avatar]
ears because when she was a puppy her ears looked bigger than her  
kezhias
[Avatar]
wow hjhamnd it looks like you have made a story  
stella_99
[Avatar]
My aunt had a chihuahua and when it had puppies she gave one to my mother. It was a black with brown female chihuahua. I remember thinking that she was so small and so cute. And because of how tiny I thought she was I suggested to my mom to name her Pulga. Pulga is Spanish for flea and since fleas are small I just thought it was such an appropriate name. Unfortunately my dog passed away about a year ago of old age. It broke my heart to see her die and I still miss her alot. I turned one of my rooms into a memorial for her.

Well a year after we got Pulga we ended up with another dog. He is a black male chow chow named Paquer. Since it was my brother who found him on the street and brought him home as a puppy he got to name him. My brother named him after the Green Bay Packers his favorite football team. So why is his named not spelled Packer? That would be my dads fault. My dad spelled the dogs name in Spanish when he got the license for the dog and nobody noticed until we saw the papers. Either way he is still Packer and he is still with us. And he even has a nickname that my mother gave him, Paquetito which means little package, but he is any but little he is a medium size dog.

The next dog I get will also have a name starting with the letter P. I've decided to do this in honor of my dog Pulga and Paquer and keep the tradition alive. I'm thinking that my next dog's name should be Pickles or Pumpkin Patch or Patches or...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mon, 10 May 2010 00:13

Ice1980
[Avatar]
I have a horse called little Devil. She is born on 06-06-2006 (666 for short) and I got her when she was just 5 months old and she was a little horse. ...  
shadow77749
[Avatar]
I have a kitten named Alice, whom I recently just got. Btw, if you want to see a pic of Alice, go to my 4th floor....Anyways, her name was Alice when I got her. She's soooo hyperactive sometimes....I fell in love with her practically the first time I saw her though.  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Fri, 4 Jun 2010 23:08

i8dali4dinner
[Avatar]
i have a maltese which is a white fluffy dog that fits in your palm. they are like 6 pounds! her name is chanel! go to my room to see a picture of her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
LeStat11
[Avatar]
My cat who came to our house during a winter storm and stayed for 18 years was named Whiskers because we didn't know if was a boy or girl when it came to our door.
Our other cat is named LeStat because he likes to scratch and draw blood just like the vampire in Anne Rice's novel.
We had three chihuahuas; Cocoa because she was tiny and chocolate
brown; Bessie because she was black and white like a cow; and
Swayzee because he liked to sway to music.
My son had a Sharpee named Scrunchi-because of the wrinkles -- especially on this face.

We just got a new kitty--all black--named Midnight.
As you can tell, we are animal lovers.  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sun, 27 Jun 2010 22:43

Freda131
[Avatar]
When I was small my dad bought a cat home in his pocket and said he was called tinker, but we called him stinker because boy when he passed wind...... I also had a friend who called her cat tipsy because when it was a kitten it was very wobbly on its feet.  
pandie1
[Avatar]
I really don't know if this story is true or not. When I was about 2 we got a puppy what was called Stoper. The story I was told was this cute little puppy followed me everywhere. I was VERY active. When I would start to get into something or start running around my mom would yell STOP HER! The the pup would than run to me to make me stop whatever I was doing. That was how Stoper got his name.  
misspatacakes
[Avatar]
My family has two pets a golden retriever mix named Honey because of her color and a black and white tuxedo cat whose name is MC for' my cat' . When we first got MC I couldn't think of a name for him so I started calling him MC (my cat) and when the boys tell people his name they tell it is MC for mom's cat. MC is truly my cat for he follows me through out the house and calls for me when I am outside.  
FluffyCakes
[Avatar]
Choosing names for anything is very hard for me, lol, because I spend half an hour choosing which is me taking my time.
I named my black and white cat Beansly, because I used to play Papas Pizzaria which is a Browser Game, and I liked the customers name Kingsily, so I changed it to Beansly. I also have another cat which I nicknamed Small Cat because she was so small and couldnt meow properly which was so cute. But the cats name was Suger, because Suger had the most softest fur ever! She slept like a mummy with her hands in the air, with a beautiful adorible face! And was the fastest cat I ever knew! I named her Suger because she was so adorible. I named my British Blue cat Smarties Blue, because I like that cat on TV with the Smarties Comercial which was ACTUALLY blue.  
mulleh
[Avatar]
My dogs name is Shorty, should have been biggie since he growed bigger than we planned on. Lol  
eaglecomander
[Avatar]
Well My cats name is Mia because when I first got her she was always meowing so ahe named herself . My mouses name is curious because he always investigates everything. My gerbils name is Jerry because it rhymes with gerbil. Not very imaginative I admit the one thing that is unique is the rodents were raised by a cat and they think theyre cats they even use litter pans they also get along with my cat so I don't keep them in a cage they are very good about using their litter pans I know because I am the one that cleans them out the cat loves them and they love the cat (The rodents sleep with my cat during the day)
E.C.

iwinmarty
[Avatar]
our oldest cat is SENBEA, she is twenty years old. we found her as a baby under a bush in jensen beach florida while at dinner there. we took her homeand her name is the last three letters of jenSen and the first three of BEAch! our giant black cat was found at 2 lbs. and our children were taking spanish 1st year so of course he is NOCHE! our middle girl, well we ran out of names after having so many pets and a friend of mine in the FBI said name her FNU, first name unknown, i loved it, added a vowel and her name is FINU! our big pound puppy is MAXX, spelled with two xx's, because he is X-TRA special! love them all!  
suan1
[Avatar]
i once had a cat named scooter because we could put him on the scooter and push it and he wouldn't jump off  
jclab
[Avatar]
A few years ago we lost a 17 yr old cat. A friend gave him to me as a birthday gift. My husband and I were newly married and wached very little TV together but we were both fans of Star Trek reruns. When we saw the cat with very pointed ears we both said Spock at once. He did have a very distant personality, but we loved him. I still miss him.  
ShayeraHol
[Avatar]
I have a siberian husky named Annie Boleyn, and a cobalt blue tarantula named Kola. Annie got her name from the historical figure Annie Boleyn, because she's delicate boned and feminine, like Anne was. She's a little supermodel husky. Kola means "friend" in one of the American Indian languages.  
tl226
[Avatar]
3 rescue dogs

Cashew - a terrier X- he's a nut!

Wellie - collie type - she's black & shiney

Dotty - well enough said!  
Buffy199
[Avatar]
Sassy
b/c its frm homeward bound nd her personality is SASSY!
Chicken b/c he's a fraidy cat
Miracle b/c she wuz the runt of the litter
lil girl b/c this cat wuz the runt of the litter nd shes a gurl *** edited for language ***

Post edited for language. Please read the Code of Conduct and Forum Guidelines for more information on posting to the Chatter Central Forum. Thank you, iWinModTeam.  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mon, 25 Mar 2013 08:02

AnGeLlBabie68
[Avatar]
i have CASPER a white Bishon and HEMINGWAY a shitzu lol blk n white almost called him yin yang or zig zag with hus cute under bite the boys are so cute romping in the snow Hemingway 8 months old almost gets lost in the snow chasing casper so cute  
sharonmcbroom
[Avatar]
I have Abbey a Jack Russel Terrier. She's named after the character Abbey on NCIS. Both of them are so smart. And then there's Snowball our cat. She has one blue eye and one green eye. And if you guessed she's all white then you can see why her name fits.  
George51
[Avatar]
I have a dog that is part Jack Russel and his name is Woody and the only time that he is hyper is when I'm teasing him with his treats or when my mother and I are playing with him  
angie6576
[Avatar]
we named our cats Milo and Mavis. Milo my cat got his name after milo and Otis. and Mavis is named after her favorite name  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Thu, 18 Apr 2013 12:33

riley1113
[Avatar]
my dogs name is cookies she is so sweet in my pup name is coca she look like it ............... my name is ahshiya  

Forum Index » Chatter Central
Go to: