Random Facts You'll Never Need to Know: iWin Forums

Welcome back  !

Make life simple!

Connect your Facebook account and enjoy all of iWin's games and benefits!

Connect with Facebook No, thank you
iWin Forums, the place to meet, ask, and chat.

[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Groups] Forums Home 

Random Facts You'll Never Need to Know
Forum Index » Chatter Central
ghostwriter
[Avatar]
"Go" is the shortest sentence in the english language
There are 336 "dimples" on a normal golf ball

Information obtained partially from randomfunfacts.com  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mon, 28 Dec 2009 22:44

ghostwriter
[Avatar]
The average person falls asleep in seven minutes  
ghostwriter
[Avatar]
A newborn kangaroo is one inch in length  
ghostwriter
[Avatar]
One of the largest toy distributors in the world is Mcdonalds. How sad is that?  
goofyduck1
[Avatar]
There is only one fruit that has seeds on the outside rather than the inside - the strawberry.

There are only 3 words in the English language that start with 'dw". Dwarf, dwindle, and dwell (excluding variations - noun, verb, plural, adjective and other gramatical usages)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mon, 28 Dec 2009 23:00

l4dyh4wk2
[Avatar]
There is no words that rhyme with orange or purple  
goofyduck1
[Avatar]
The hippocratic oath taken by doctors, whether the original, classic translation, or modern translation, does not actually say "First, Do No Harm." It says it in other ways, but is not quoted as such.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Tue, 29 Dec 2009 01:25

pandie1
[Avatar]
AT birth a baby giant panda weighs only 4 ounces and is about 6 inches long. Can you believe it!

Pandas ears wiggle when they chew  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Tue, 29 Dec 2009 08:53

jamgrass
[Avatar]
This is not scientific AT ALL ~ but my husband (aka Pappy) swears you can not THINK about THINKING.....  
jewelicious
[Avatar]
Elephants can't jump. (That's a good thing)  
lionesss24
[Avatar]
you can't lick yer elbow  
lionesss24
[Avatar]
HOW SMART IS YOUR RIGHT FOOT?

You have to try this , it only takes 2 seconds. I could not believe this ! It is from an orthopedic surgeon............
This will boggle your mind and you will keep you trying over and over again to see if you can outsmart your foot, but, you can't.
It's pre-programmed in your brain!
1. Without anyone watching you (they will think you're a lil off......) and while sitting at your desk in front of your computer,
lift your right foot off the floor and make clockwise circles.
2. Now, while doing this, draw the number '6' in the air with your right-hand. Your foot will change direction.
And there's nothing you can do about it!
You and I both know how'dumb' it is, but before the day is done you are going to try it again, if you've not already done so.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Tue, 29 Dec 2009 18:47

jewelicious
[Avatar]
lionesss24 wrote: you can't lick yer elbow
Ironically enough a very close member of my family can lick their elbow...We love her anyway. As for the foot thing...That is so cool. I am just glad my cat can't laugh.  
jewelicious
[Avatar]
Speaking of which...Napolean was afraid of cats.  
l4dyh4wk2
[Avatar]
There is such a thing as a fear of cooking... its called Mageirocophobia  
lionesss24
[Avatar]
I didn't know it had a name for causing some or all of the following:
Fear of causing illness
Fear of serving inedible food
Presentation Concerns
Fear of the cooking process
& Fear of recipes

sophidia
[Avatar]
great word too great for wordscape

jewelicious
[Avatar]
lionesss24 wrote:I didn't know it had a name for causing some or all of the following:
Fear of causing illness
Fear of serving inedible food
Presentation Concerns
Fear of the cooking process
& Fear of recipes

I think that is a totally different psychosis. I believe what your talking about is "culinary nervosis stress disorder." CNSD for short. That's when you try to please too many people with food at one time during a festive dinner event. I suffered from it recently myself. The cure is quite simple........A really good bottle of Wine that you hide in the lower kitchen cupboard, to be consumed when noone is looking. By the time dinner is to be served you will have totally forgotten about any "isis", "osis", or even "esis" that was affecting you before.  
lionesss24
[Avatar]
and obias too jewel ! LOL !  
l4dyh4wk2
[Avatar]
LOL Jewel... too funny, been there a few times myself. However you are correct that is a totally different thing. One is a rational fear & the other is irrational.  
SandChan
[Avatar]
Lioness I tried the foot thing again and again. I tried in slow motion too. That's just amazing.  
SandChan
[Avatar]
Scientists have calculated by the Bible and other theological writings, the temperature of hell is 718°C  
lionesss24
[Avatar]
Not that I would want to try this but wonder if that would be hot enough to melt a diamond?  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Wed, 30 Dec 2009 23:16

l4dyh4wk2
[Avatar]
Interesting question. . I had to look it up.

No it wouldn't be hot enough, Diamonds have the highest melting point of all known material. Diamonds melt at around 3550degC and boil at 4800degC.

The normal temperature of molten lava is about 750degC so lava is not hot enough Molten lava has a temperature in the range of 750degC – 1250degC  
lionesss24
[Avatar]
jewelicious wrote:Speaking of which...Napolean was afraid of cats.

I know ! LOL  
lionesss24
[Avatar]
l4dyh4wk u are so scientific! I couldn't find the heat range but knew that diamonds are pretty much the hardest substance on Earth!
( ) LOL  
lionesss24
[Avatar]
Sand yer not still @ it r ya?  
l4dyh4wk2
[Avatar]
lioness... Google is a wonderful thing I just typed "hot enough to melt diamonds" & it popped up  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Thu, 31 Dec 2009 06:43

joanietreb
[Avatar]
lionesss24 wrote:HOW SMART IS YOUR RIGHT FOOT?

You have to try this , it only takes 2 seconds. I could not believe this ! It is from an orthopedic surgeon............
This will boggle your mind and you will keep you trying over and over again to see if you can outsmart your foot, but, you can't.
It's pre-programmed in your brain!
1. Without anyone watching you (they will think you're a lil off......) and while sitting at your desk in front of your computer,
lift your right foot off the floor and make clockwise circles.
2. Now, while doing this, draw the number '6' in the air with your right-hand. Your foot will change direction.
And there's nothing you can do about it!
You and I both know how'dumb' it is, but before the day is done you are going to try it again, if you've not already done so.

It works with the left foot too, so funny. Can't wait to try this out on friends who think they are smart  
justhank
[Avatar]
these are all interesting facts that are sooo coool.

here's one -40 degrees C is equal to -40 degrees F. (do the math)

and TIME is affected by gravity not just speed (velocity) .... it passes more slowly as you get closer to the center of the mass creating the gravity ( or distortion of space)

and LIGHT has mass ... thats why it too is affected by gravity (or a spacial distortion caused by mass)

AND both TIME AND LIGHT can be stopped by extreme GRAVITY (such as a black hole)

BUT, You can not hold GRAVITY acountable for two people falling in LOVE. (that is an even stronger attraction) but niether is a force as Newton thought.  
jewelicious
[Avatar]
There is a theory that gravity, of itself, is not a strong enough force on its own. The current hypothesis is that "elcromagnetic field" plays a substantial role in the effects we term as gravitational. Therefore this current speculation might actually provide some scientific insight into personal "Attraction".

Eventually the new catch phrase may be " Charge your ions.Change your Life." lol  
lionesss24
[Avatar]
I heard 'somewhere' it's called 'twitterpated-avity'
elcro magnetic? does that involve velcro jewely?  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sat, 2 Jan 2010 16:44

jewelicious
[Avatar]
lionesss24 wrote:I heard 'somewhere' it's called 'twitterpated-avity'
elcro magnetic? does that involve velcro jewely?

Sorry for the typo...My safety pin that was up my sleeve fell out while I was typing...lol

I'll try that word again....elEcTromagnetic...As for elcro magnetic involving Velcro...It could be. How many couples have you seen where they are both very "prickly" to each other, yet cling onto each other for dear life. You may have something there Ms. Lion  
goofyduck1
[Avatar]
If you are right Hank, and Einstein's theory is correct, we can all fly to outer space where time slows down due to the theories you expressed, and love will last forever.  
justhank
[Avatar]
it must be tru then.  
baronrae
[Avatar]
Kenetic energy= The boss comes to U everytime with every job!  
sil067
[Avatar]
The only feline without retractable claws is the cheetah. WOW! Now that's a fact I couldn't live without!  
SandChan
[Avatar]

Did you know that you can bend a plastic straw in half an unlimited number of times?  
lionesss24
[Avatar]
not true sand I tried it and mine broke
now 'in halves'  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mon, 11 Jan 2010 01:29

joanietreb
[Avatar]
Have you ever tried the straw into the raw potato trick? If you hit it just right, it penetrates the tater, even if you use a paper straw  
Jaye0909
[Avatar]
The little dot over the letter i is called a tittle.

The English word with the most consonants in a row is - latchstring.

If you spell out the names of every number from one to 999, you will find every vowel except A.

In the English language, the single longest word that is spelled by displaying all of it's letters in alphabetical order is - almost.

-Just some more useless info....Have a great day and a better tomorrow. --- Jeannie  
barbie0251
[Avatar]
ghostwriter wrote:The average person falls asleep in seven minutes

Oh how I wish I were "average!"

Barbie  
barbie0251
[Avatar]
jewelicious wrote:There is a theory that gravity, of itself, is not a strong enough force on its own. The current hypothesis is that "elcromagnetic field" plays a substantial role in the effects we term as gravitational. Therefore this current speculation might actually provide some scientific insight into personal "Attraction".

Eventually the new catch phrase may be " Charge your ions.Change your Life." lol

Whow, I think gravitational force is quite strong. And omnipresent. It is my opinion that the universe is "pulsating" rather than expanding as most theorists believe. If it (the universe) continues to expand as they predict, what happens to the total energy of the system? It will all be lost!!!!! I consider the gravitational force among the planets and stars of our universe to be great enough that our universe will one day start to contract. It may take billions of years. That means its elements will eventually start to attract each other and cause the universe to come together again. That will cause too much kinetic energy. Then the planets and such will repell each other again. It's a sort of contest between kinetic and potential energy. So once it starts to converge again, it will try to separate. In other words, the universe is pulsating. I only wish I were smart enough to prove this in an equation. But I am only a doll. As for "charge your ions, change your life." Ok, how do u presume one to charge his/her ions? With a hair dryer? A tazer? Give me a good answer please! And I will consider it. Ty.  
goofyduck1
[Avatar]
Contrary to what you learned in school, ANTI­DIS­ESTABLISH­MENT­ARIAN­ISM (28 letters) is not the longest word in the English Dictionary. It is PNEUMONO­ULTRA­MICRO­SCOPIC­SILICO­VOLCANO­CONIOSIS at 45 letters. And if you want to throw in SUPER­CALI­FRAGI­LISTIC­EXPI­ALI­DOCIOUS, it is at 34 letters.

The only word in the English language with three double letters in a row is "bookkeeping"

The shortest Last Will known on record is believed to be from Arabia: "All to Wife"

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Wed, 24 Feb 2010 22:51

stella_99
[Avatar]
Here's one that is just yummy: On average Americans eat 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of insect parts a year in the food they eat.
And speaking of food chocolate, the tomato, vanilla and the avocado originate from Mexico while the potato originates from Peru.  
justhank
[Avatar]
Barbie,
according to my hero, a. Einstien, Gravity is not a force. an object in free fall feels no force. until it hits the ground. if you were in a spaceship, with no massive bodies around, you would be wieghtless. just like everything in the spaceship. now imagine that the ship accelerates at the rate of 32 feet per second per second. the floor would come up and you would feel the force of the floor pushing you. now suppose you were holding an apple (i know bad example) and a feather. if you release the apple and the feather, they would appear to be drawn down to the floor , just like they would in a gravitational field (like on earth). but we know that the floor is moving towards them, they experience no force ..... until they hit the floor. Trust me on this.
as for the "Pulsating Universe" theory, i think it's more like an "oscillating universe" where the expansion due to kinetic energy is overcome by gravity, and the universe begings to collapse or come together into a "Big Crunch". all the matter in the universe collapses to one point and starts the "Big Bang" all over again.
you might want to read "Einstein's Universe' by Nigel Calder. i found it fascinating. you're a smart doll!

........................... not justhank  
honk1
[Avatar]
SandChan wrote:Scientists have calculated by the Bible and other theological writings, the temperature of hell is 718°C

what is that in F?  
honk1
[Avatar]
can;t spell farenhiet, or something like that.  
justhank
[Avatar]
718 degrees C is equall to 1,324.4 degrees F (F = 1.8 x C + 32)

so -40 C x 1.8 + 32
= -72 + 32
= -40 F

but you didn't ask for that, but this is "random facts you will never need to know'.

jewelicious
[Avatar]
Sorry hank, not trying to be argumentative here but... my math says that 718 degrees c is actually 1468 degrees f. Who is right? Maybe we can start a poll.  

Forum Index » Chatter Central
Go to: