Alzheimer's disease prevention: iWin Forums

Welcome back  !

Make life simple!

Connect your Facebook account and enjoy all of iWin's games and benefits!

Connect with Facebook No, thank you
iWin Forums, the place to meet, ask, and chat.

[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Groups] Forums Home 

Alzheimer's disease prevention
Forum Index » Chatter Central
boscorelli1
[Avatar]
I just wanted to share the following with all of my new friends. There has been a lot of new and exciteing discoveries,about ALHEIMER'S Disease. Nuerologists have linked the playing arcade games,jigsaw puzzles etc,as a PREVENTATIVE from getting ALHEIMER'S DISEASE.PET Scans pick up the brain's frontal lobe activity;increaseing the number of nuerons & synapses. THINK of Synapses as highways,bridges,underpasses/overpases and your regular large city,small town traffic etc. Nuerons = cars.
As early as 40,people should think positively and keeping your mind very active.Games on iwin.com offer this important opportunity,as a fun filled relaxeing mental olympic health aerobic work out. A healthy nutrious diet,aerobic excercise and don't get into a RUT.
Negative thinking,drug/alcohol abuse,obesity are triggers to getting ALHEIMER's.Another fact is constantly whineing and nagging about every little thing and malicious gossiping.
Another important fact take time out to PLAY LIKE A CHILD,setting aside all your adult responsibilities and enjoy yourself
Boscorelli1

P/S It is now called NUERO/PSYCHIATRY  

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sat, 11 Aug 2012 14:09

boscorelli1
[Avatar]
The other day,while I was watching TV,there were 2 commericials;one for Zoloff the other for Proszac.These are expensive medication for depression.
Playing arcade games,is a excellant alternative,to nip/stop depression.
To play the game,the mind can not go into 2 directions at once.
JMHO playing on-line arcade games,does have a totally postive affact on the mind.The computer game will challenge you
It is also my opinon,that people bring on their own depression;by what and why they think,along with going along with other people's opinons;just to remain friends???  
tucata@ffmc
[Avatar]
often times depression is a chemical inbalance in the brain, nothing triggers it or brings it on, it just happens and is beyond the person's control. i agree that puzzle games, word games etc keep the brain active and healthy....good health to all  
boscorelli1
[Avatar]
I just purchased SAINTS N SINNER"S BOWLING> Have to admit,I did lousey on the 60minute free trial This irritated me to some degree . What perfect way to beat anger,in a positive MODE .Made 3 strikes,not bad.Still have a long way to go.
People bring on their depression because of what they are thinking. Depression is a natural by product of life all around us. SAINTS N SINNER'S BOWLING,is an EXCELLANT way of defuseing anger and depression..
Tucata@ffmc remember what will irritate one person,will have little or no affect on another person
AS for a chemical inbalance in the brain,well if people are going to use illegal drugs and alcohol;this is a direct result PLUS self inflicted.
WE control our thoughts,either positive or negative this is CHOICE.

mac1936
[Avatar]
ive been made fun of by doing games and your right they do help the mind. I have been on strong meds for over 5 years also worked for 20 years with chemicals so strong it burned your nose and throut and yes it has effected my memory big time and I know for a fact the games has helped a lot. ( still cant spell )  
goofyduck1
[Avatar]
I don't know how else to say it so here it is: I wholeheartedly and without reservation take exception to the theory that depression is a choice. No one "chooses" to be depressed to the point where they can't work, can't keep relationships, create hardships for their families, become self-destructive, and ultimately create a living hell for themselves. No one "chooses" to live such a life. While some may deal with blows to their psyche more than others, depression can "choose" anyone at any time, despite their circumstances. Quoting a recent article: " . . . clinical studies and medical observations have been able to identify a number of chemical inconsistencies that occur in individuals who report experiencing symptoms related to [depression, anxiety and ADHD]." Some of the chemical imbalances identified are, paraphrasing: a reduced availability of of neurotransmitters like Serotonin, Dopamine, Norepinephrine, GABA and Acetylcholine; increased levels of toxic neurochemicals such as Homocysteine; lower levels of serum Magnesium, Zinc or Potassium; unhealthy, or deficient levels of essential vitamins like B6, B9, B12 and Vitamin-C; an undersupply of key cofactors like amino acids that are used to help transport neurotransmitter precursors into the blood-brain barrier; and an increased cortisol stress hormone levels.

So are people deliberately choosing to deprive themselves of these chemicals? I don't think so.

And to suggest that alcohol and drug use is the cause of depression is -- well, speaking for about a dozen people I know personally, not one of them have a drug or alcohol problem, they were living full and productive lives, and then depression hit. Drug and Alcoholic addicts are in a class all by themselves and cannot be lumped into a generalization that it is the cause of depression for everyone. If that was the case, then all of us would be drinking or using drugs every time we had a bad hair day or when the dog died.

And to stay on topic, the ingestion of aluminum has also been suggested as a link to Alzheimer's Disease. Some people believe it, some don't. But I avoid anything with aluminum just in case, soda pop in aluminum cans, aluminum cookware, beer, coffee, antacids, and now the ever increasing number of canned goods (you can tell by the rounded bottoms) like soup. There are some things one can't avoid like toothpaste and water . . . but still.  
emcall
[Avatar]
Goofyduck, I wholeheartedly agree! I did not choose depression, and my chemical deficiencies were not caused by my negative thinking, etc. I have many friends and relatives who have had Alzheimer's and/or depression. While gaming and positive thinking can be helpful, they are NOT alternatives to appropriate medicines for correcting the chemical imbalances from which many people suffer.

boscorelli1, I have a different opinion than yours, but we are all still part of the iWin "family", and I hope you can accept my opinion without thinking I am judging you. If we all had the same opinions, the world would be a pretty dull place, and scientific innovations would not exist.  
boscorelli1
[Avatar]
First let me say HELLO to you EMCALL;You have a right to express your opinons and the RIGHT to disagree. Example- A neighbor a short dude,Andrew,made a remark that was totally out of line.. It isn't important to go into detail;but he does have low esteem self confidence issues. I let the incident 'go';someone else might have escalated it further.
Here is the benefit of the games. I was playing SAINTS AND SINNER'S BOWLING;and much to my suprise,I still can't believes the high scores.I was working through the 'stress,of the moment and let it pass quickly
THe only one who will suffer will be Andrew,not me Boscorelli1. I just jumped another of life's difficult hurdles;that we all must handle.
Hello Mac1936, you said you were on strong meds for 5 years,now your off of them;that's GREAT ,now you are not taking them;which is great. I'm proud of you

boscorelli1
[Avatar]
Watching at least 3 hours of TV and one is 'bombarded' with every type of commerical. Either a person is to tall,short,to fat,skinny; your hair is your problem,your feet smell. etc.
Then they show the car commericals,vacations etc.Then there are commericals debt consolidation. Now there is the 'psychic connection.etc.
Another fact,is that people overspent/maxed out credit cards and now they can't pay their bills are April 15th,is right around the corner. People just buy into the 'crap' of TV commericals.
Our games here on iwin.com;are much kinder on both the body and mind;along with less expense;than taking PROZAC,ZOLOFF.  
DexGypMom
[Avatar]

Here, Here Goofyduck and Emcall --

Exercising my right to an opinion, I agree wholeheartedly with Goofs and Em - DEPRESSION IS NOT A CHOICE. And thank you Goofy for providing a reference to your opinion which boscorelli1 has not in any of her ramblings here. Without clinical observations, scientific evidence or physio-psychological findings boscorelli1, all of your assumptions carry no weight. You have a right to express what you feel might be a cause and theraputic activities for any brain malady but you must preface your verbiage while doing so. Expressing your previous statements as if they were empirical data is unprofessional and reckless behavior which can mislead readers into believing what cannot be substantiated in your narratives.

I have been suffering with clinical depression for 4 years - do not abuse drugs or drink alcohol. I did not want this brain chemistry imbalance nor do I sit around having "negative" thoughts. My depression hit right after the start of menopause which has been known to trigger chemical imbalances in the brain as told to me by my OB/GYN and confirmed by the following link and hundreds more like it on the web. University of Michigan Depression Center

Alzheimer's research has come far but there still is no explanation for the aluminum plaques found in dead brain tissue of Alzheimer patients. Also, there is more than one form of this disease as explained by the Alzheimer's Association Website. Heredity and familial mental illnesses can be contributors to early onset of this form of dementia.

Before you present an opinion, make sure you have the data or references to back up your claims OR make sure you preface your statements with, "In my opinion". Checking you spelling lends to credibility also. Having an opinion about any subject is fine but stating your opinions as fact is irresponsible.

•••MaryBeth

boscorelli1
[Avatar]
In My Opinon,Depression a CHOICE. Depression is a negative thought ;so I choice not to think negative and quickly dismiss the thought. Example TV and websites. I freely make the choice as to what I will watch and what websites I log onto.
THe other day I downloaded a game for a 60 minute free trial;but I CHOSE not to buy it.
Again it is my opinon that Depression comes from bad choices people make in their lives.,these are called consequences
It was nice talking with you MaryBeth

mac1936
[Avatar]
some people chose to bury there head in the sand otheres chose to face the challanges as they come and deal with them the best way they can.  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Tue, 2 Mar 2010 01:07

boscorelli1
[Avatar]
Hi MAC1936
Absolutely CORRECT 100%.There are times when LIFE does hit one on their 'blind side';these are very difficult situations. Hospitals are full of patiants,who can rise above their circumstances and look at the positive and go forward. Then there are patiants with the exact set of circumstances and just go into a meltdown.
OLYMPIC GAMES GOLD,SILVER,BRONZE medal winners.They won their medals because they achieved their goals.It was long years of hard work,sacrifice and discipline.
Have a nice day,enjoy talking with you,
Boscorelli1  
mac1936
[Avatar]
remember the bible story. Footprints ? I hold that close to my heart..the man was going threw the saddest times of his life and the Lord promiest the man he would be with him to see through his trying times but the man only saw one pair of foot prints. "I dont understand why, when I needed you most, you would leave me"..the Lord replyed " My precious child i love you. during your times of trial and suffering, when you saw only one set of footprints....that was when i carried you "..this is another way to cope  

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Tue, 2 Mar 2010 18:15

honk1
[Avatar]
Hello all. I belive their are situastions that cause depression. Loss of a loved one, a spuse, child, etc. The loss of a job and no future job wihthin close sigjht a family to feed, etc.can cause a type of depression. Playing these games can help take your mind off the issues for a short time so yo can better deal with the reality of it all and the business at hand that needs to be done, take a breakm have alittle fun, good medicine for all.

Their are those who have chemical imabances that cause the emmotional swings and distortion of thoughts and realities. Many other sysmptoms also. I am BiPolar and was what I thought a genrally happy person. Perfectionist, extremely critical, fristrated easily  
honk1
[Avatar]
I need more space guys, continued. For me personally it is a chemical imbalance. After lab tests, in fect several, my body does not creat its own natural sodium. This is what causes me to be BiPolar. It turns out I have been so most if not all of my live. I do not choose it, I do not want it, but it has me. Sometimes by the throat. Yes, this is a mental illness and yes I take seeral meds for it. Not happy about taking so many, but it is now a part of my daily reality, so I deal w it. Just an FYI.

I also play becuase I thought it would be good for this older brain of mine, now its confirmed. TY.  
honk1
[Avatar]
On a note that is also important here I think. There is a difference between sadness and morning. Depression controls the person not the other way around. Learend that a long tiome ago. Encouraging a person to lift above it in many cases is good. In people w conditions such as mine who are in a tailspin downward can send them all the way down, if ti know what I mean. So encourage, have a listening ear and compassion. Help by dropping positive thoughts and dont belittle the depressive thoughts because the thoughts are real maybedoesnt fit the situation as you see it, but as the other person sees it is the way it is. Being there can often help them through the other side to the sonshine and the rainbow.  

Forum Index » Chatter Central
Go to: