What is your favorite recipe for cooking?: iWin Forums

Welcome back  !

Make life simple!

Connect your Facebook account and enjoy all of iWin's games and benefits!

Connect with Facebook No, thank you
iWin Forums, the place to meet, ask, and chat.

[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Groups] Forums Home 

What is your favorite recipe for cooking?
Forum Index » Chatter Central
ppineapple
[Avatar]
It's "ppineapple" here with another question, but this time, not so mind-mixing.
I was wondering if any of you have an amazing recipe you have created or a traditional one that has been passed down from generations they would like to share. It can be as simple as a sandwich to complex like a creme brulee. Since we're talking about food here, share the ingredients and directions you need to recreate the edible masterpiece.

I will start this thread off with a healthy taco recipe. The tacos I make have less fat and carbs than the regular taco. You can say it's a highly improved version of the taco.

PPINEAPPLE'S INFAMOUS HEALTHY TACO (serves 2):

Ingredients:
2 whole-grain taco shells
1 pound of ground beef
6 leaves of lettuce
1 whole tomato
1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese (preferably Kraft)
1/4 cup of plain Greek yogurt
2 leaves of parsley for garnish

Directions:
1. Cut up the ground beef and cook them until they are well-done.
2. Get the taco shells and place them on the plate.
3. Fill the taco shells with 1/2 of ground beef each.
4. Place one leaf of lettuce on each taco.
5. Slice the tomatoes into crescent shapes and put them on each taco.
6. Take another leaf of lettuce and place it on each taco again.
7. Spread 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese on each taco.
8. Take ANOTHER leaf of lettuce and place it on each taco again(, as usual).
9. Spread 1/6 of Greek yogurt on top of the lettuce.
10. Finish off the creation with 1 leaf of parsley on each taco.

I know a lot of people know how to make tacos, but this healthy taco has plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and mozzarella cheese instead of sharp cheddar. You will definately not be disappointed about the taste. Very delicious, no guilt, and a good choice.

Griddlebone
[Avatar]
The tacos sound good. I'll give the greek yogurt a try, but I'd rather skip the cheese than use mozarella. My husband likes it, though. We almost always use ground turkey instead of ground beef for tacos, and occasionally cooked whitefish.

My recipe, which was passed along from a friend of my in-laws, is full of oil and sugar, although the bulk of it is cabbage, onions and carrots. But it's so devilishly tasty, I kind of forget about how many Calories are in a serving. I take this to pot lucks and shared dinners all the time and keep the ingredients other than the greens on hand at home all the time. If I have pot luck club meeting after work on Tuesday, I can make up the dressing and crunchies on the weekend then all that's left is to buy fresh greens and chop them. When under a time crunch like that, I buy pre-shredded carrots. This recipe has my friends convinced I can cook, which is far from the truth.

Chinese Cabbage Salad
STEP 1: Dressing
1/2 c. seasoned rice vinegar
1/2 c. sesame oil
3 Tbls. sugar

Boil together 3 minutes. Cool.

STEP 2: Crunchies
In frying pan, add
1/3 c. oil (1/2 peanut and 1/2 sesame)
2 packages Top Ramen noodles (broken small, noodles only, no seasoning)
1/2 c. sliced almonds
1/2 c. raw sunflower seeds
1/4 to 1/2 c. sesame seeds

Brown all together on low to medium heat, stirring. Takes awhile. Keep an eye on it as it's easy to go from brown to burnt.

STEP 3: Greens

Chop up:
1 head Chinese (Napa) cabbage
1 bunch green onions
2 carrots, shredded

Keep separate until ready to serve. The dressing and crunchies will keep a week separate. You can add cooked chicken breast if desired. Salad does not save well once combined.

chloe4321
[Avatar]
GREAT TOPIC! Love anything that has to do with tasty dishes, YUMMY!
My favorite is Malfatti which my mom has made since I was a little kid. It's main ingredient is Spinach but even if you were one of those tikes that wouldn't finish their spinach (lol), you would be in for a pleasant surprise. I'm not sure of its origins but I always thought it was Greek since my mom is 100% Greek and she makes the most DELICIOUS Greek dishes. I think it may actually be Italian though. Anyways, I was not able to copy and post the recipe but you can find it by just goggling "MALFATTI RECIPE". ENJOY!
P.S. If you do try or have tried it, let me know what you thought!!!!!!!!
P.S.S. I will try the other recipes suggested as well.
OH, one more thing! I really recommend adding some extra canned mushrooms to the Malfatti recipe, it makes it extra yummy  
ppineapple
[Avatar]
chloe4321 wrote:GREAT TOPIC! Love anything that has to do with tasty dishes, YUMMY!
My favorite is Malfatti which my mom has made since I was a little kid. It's main ingredient is Spinach but even if you were one of those tikes that wouldn't finish their spinach (lol), you would be in for a pleasant surprise. I'm not sure of its origins but I always thought it was Greek since my mom is 100% Greek and she makes the most DELICIOUS Greek dishes. I think it may actually be Italian though. Anyways, I was not able to copy and post the recipe but you can find it by just goggling "MALFATTI RECIPE". ENJOY!
P.S. If you do try or have tried it, let me know what you thought!!!!!!!!
P.S.S. I will try the other recipes suggested as well.
OH, one more thing! I really recommend adding some extra canned mushrooms to the Malfatti recipe, it makes it extra yummy

Malfatti is Italian because it's a type of gnocchi pasta. I have tried malfatti before at a friend's annual March-time party. Those gnocchis are extremely delicious. If you puge sage & butter or cilantro & butter with spinach then you have a sensational, creamy moist taste to it. It's very delicious. I haven't made them, but I'll give it a try. My family will absolutely love it!  
robmarie
[Avatar]
This is my recipe. It was given to me years ago. It is great to take to a get together because it ia so rich - you can eat just a small piece at a time.

Ingredients:

Angel Food Cake (purchased or home baked)
Box of Dream Whip (2 envelopes)
12 oz Kraft Philadelphia Cream Cheese (softened)
Bananas
Sugar
Vanilla

Blend softened Cream Cheese with 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Make the Dream Whip according to the directions on the box. (Remember to use both envelopes). Now fold cream cheese mixture into Dream Whip - blend thouroughly.

Slice angel food cake into 3 layers. Starting with bottom layer, slice a banana into medallions. Completely cover top of layer. When finished putting on bananas, smooth cream cheese/Dream Whip mixture. Place middle layer of cake on top of bottom layer and repeat with bananas and cream cheese. Repeat top layer. Use remaining cream cheese/ Dream Whip to cover sides. All that is left to do now is slice a piece and ENJOY!

I sincerely hope you like this cake as much as my family has.

RobMarie  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mon, 9 Jul 2012 04:38

Forum Index » Chatter Central
Go to: