Best book series ever?: iWin Forums

Welcome back  !

Make life simple!

Connect your Facebook account and enjoy all of iWin's games and benefits!

Connect with Facebook No, thank you
iWin Forums, the place to meet, ask, and chat.

[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Groups] Forums Home 

Best book series ever?
Forum Index » Chatter Central
silverb0t
[Avatar]
What is your favorite book series? Discuss here!  
honk1
[Avatar]
Flowers in the Attic. There are actually about 5 in the series. The movie made off it was not a very good representation of the books, changed themes a bit and the ending.  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Tue, 26 Jan 2010 02:35

goofyduck1
[Avatar]
I personally liked the "Left Behind" series of books - very interesting take on the second coming. I enjoyed all 11 (I think it was 11) volumes.  
sophidia
[Avatar]
To many bookseries in the fantasy genre to have only one favorite.
Besides Tolkien (lord of the rings) and The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis Lots of Terry's
The disc world series Terry Pratchet (very funny)
The Wizard rules series of Terry Goodkind
Shannara/words&void series Terry Brooks
The Deverrry Novels by Katherine Kerr
Liveshiptraders by Robin Hobb
Dragonseries by Ann McCaffrey
Not to forget the Otherland series about a virtualworld by Tad Williams  
DexGypMom
[Avatar]

One of my favorites is the John Jakes series, "Kent Family Chronicles", of the Kentland family saga over many generations beginning in England and their immigration to America. The mini-series pretty much stuck to the story which was refreshing. Jakes quickly followed with "North and South", "Love and War", and "Heaven & Hell", which also became a mini-series where Patrick Swazye became a heart throb as lieutenant Orrey Main.

I also like Herman Wouk's, "Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance" but have to admit, I liked the mini-series better than the books.

I really wish I could say I was a better "read" person but unfortunately, my reading consisted of the books available through Double Day. I had about 1200 lbs. of hardcover books rotting in my basement being a member for 6 years but managed to unload 2/3 of them to the Purple Heart Society. I should get a Kindle and start reading some of the classics....ya, right. I play games and decorate rooms now; who has time for reading? LOL

Honk - I did read the V. C. Andrews series "Flowers in the Attic" and was really creeped out about it. I can't imagine a movie being made on this subject. Was it in theaters? It couldn't have been for TV or even cable back then. I always wondered why the author chose such a controversial topic to write about....first hand knowledge?

•••MaryBeth

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:11

til2sday
[Avatar]
I also liked the Left Behind Series. It was 2 authors interpertation of the second coming.
Virginia C. Andrew's Flowers in the Attic series was a tough read for me because of the subject matter. The selfishness of one Mother who chose to pursue her own happiness at the cost of her children. Did you know even though V.C. Andrews died years ago her family still put out books under her name? They hired people to write the books for them.
I also like any books or series written by Jeffery Deavers, James Patterson, John Jakes, Fern Michaels & Beverly Lewis.
til2sday  
nia2795
[Avatar]
I'm not sure if mine are considered "series" and they've changed with the different periods in my life. When was younger and believed in fairy tale romances, Johanna Lindsey 's Mallory family series were my favorites. In fact, to this day I buy whatever she releases. I'm too cynical now to enjoy them as much. Lol. I also use to love Jude Deveraux and her book Knight in Shining Armour remains my favorite romance novel. Oh and I like Fern Michaels too til2sday. Cinders to Satin is sooo good.

Later I really got into John Sandford's private eye “Prey” series (Eyes of Prey, Winter Prey etc…) I have a thing for the main character Lucas Davenport. Lol. I can’t read too many of those consecutively because of all the crime. Makes me paranoid : - ).

I also like the Patricia Cornwell books specifically with the Kay Scarpetta character. Cruel and Unusual is my favorite so far in that series.

I have read some of the books in Oprah's book club but geez, most are so sad and depressing. Real life is miserable enough. I like a book to take me away. I started reading One Hundred Years of Solitude buy Gabriel Garcia Marquez. It's beautifully written but for me, it's been a hard read and Anna Karinnina - Fa get about it. It just made me feel dumb because I was lost and couldn't get through it.

silverb0t what a great topic to start..I like the idea of folks even recommending their fav books. I'm always looking for something new too so I keep checking this topic.

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Sun, 31 Jan 2010 09:40

l4dyh4wk2
[Avatar]
Personally I like 2 different genres... historical fiction & anything about vampires (sci-fi/ horror/ fantasy)... if you have any suggestions please let me know. I'm always looking out for something good. Sorry but I can't choose just 1... so... 3 of my favorites in Historical fiction series are

the Outlander series by Diane Gabaldon Are they histories? Fantasies? Science fiction? Romance? While it may be impossible to categorize the books Diana Gabaldon calls historical fantasias, it hardly matters. They are complexly plotted, extravagantly romantic romps through time, space, and breathtaking landscapes. There is something for everyone... history buffs will enjoy the historical events that begin in war torn Scotland 1743 & travel through England & France on into the American War of Independence 1776. Romance fans will adore the adventures & love storys of Claire & Jamie, and other couples that you meet along the way. For those that like scientific & medical reading there is plenty of that too. This is (I feel) one of the best series out there.

the 'People'series aka The First North Americans series by Kathleen & Micheal Gear. The series, began with "People of the Wolf," It explores various civilizations and cultures in prehistoric North America. Each of its books focuses on a different time period, location, and set of characters. The first four novels form a coherent, more or less linear narrative, from the initial migration of Siberian peoples into what is now Canada and Alaska (People of the Wolf) through the florescence of the Mississippian semi-urban mound-building culture, considered the "high-water mark" of North American pre-Columbian civilization, around 1000 AD. The remaining novels cover a wide variety of times and settings, in no particular order, ranging from tropical Florida in the 6th millennium BC to the Chaco Empire of the Southwest in the 13th century AD. The novels take into account new developments in North American archaeology such as the discovery of Kennewick Man and the development of the coastal-route model as a possible alternative or supplement to overland migration across Beringia. The novels generally have a prologue set in modern times, in which archaeologists or others discover ancient artifacts and other remnants of prehistoric North American civilization. The main body of the novel then details the individual lives of those who left the artifacts behind. Although generally well regarded for their accuracy and attention to detail (both of the writers are professional archaeologists) the novels usually contain mystic elements, focusing on shamanistic visions. Protagonists of early novels sometimes appear as dream guides or figures of legend in subsequent volumes.

the Clan of the Cave Bear series aka Earth's Children series by Jean Auel Set in prehistoric times somewhat before the extinction of the Neanderthal race after 600,000 years as a species, and at least 10-15,000 years after 'Homo sapiens' remains are documented and dated in Europe as a viable second human species. The story begins with Ayla, a 5-year old girl who is suddenly orphaned and left homeless by an earthquake that destroys her family's camp. She wanders aimlessly, naked and unable to feed herself, for several days. Having been attacked and nearly killed by a cave lion and suffering from starvation, exhaustion, and infection of her wounds, she collapses, on the verge of death.The narrative switches to ' the Clan' who have also been made homeless by the destruction of their cave in the earthquake and are trekking in search of a new home. Alerted by vultures circling above the unconscious child, the medicine woman of the group, Iza, asks permission from Brun, the head of the Clan, to rescue the waif. Iza uses her wide knowledge of healing herbs and procedures in order to nurse the little girl back to life. When she regains consciousness, the girl is shocked to find that her rescuers are physically quite different from people with whom she is familiar: they are Neanderthal whilst she is of the Cro-Magnon people (known to her rescuers as the 'Others'). The books follow Ayla through her life, love & adventures sweeping you along from what will become known as the Ukraine through into France during the Ice Age... it is a daunting tale of determination, ingenuity, survival & love.

While I have read books about vampires written by Christine Feehan (the Dark Series) & Laurel K Hamilton (the Anita Blake series) I have to say The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice are my favorite They revolve around the fictional character Lestat de Lioncourt, a French nobleman made into a vampire in the 18th century. The first book is Interview with a Vampire in which Louis tells his 200-year-long life story to reporter Daniel Molloy of how he met Lestat & was turned into a vampire. Most of the books are in first-person perspective with only a few being in third-person Subsequent books also reveal the life stories of other vampires that are met along the way.

DexGypMom
[Avatar]

Ali --

"Clan of the Cave Bear" was made into a movie starring Daryl Hannah. Although the movie was considered a flop and Hannah got a "Razzie" for her performance, I found the movie extremely interesting. The dialog was mainly grunting and hand gesturing but the storyline was not compromised. Anthropologically speaking, no one really knows how or if Neanderthals interacted with proto-Homo sapiens in a significant way. Some scientests even suggest, as was seen in the movie and most likely written in the book, interbreeding between these 2 groups and the producing of progeny. One thing for sure, Daryl Hannah was the prettiest Cro-magnon to walk this planet but who would go and see this movie if the starring role of Ayla was given to Rosanne Barr.

•••MaryBeth

l4dyh4wk2
[Avatar]
I agree Dex, I saw the movie and at its best it was only so-so, but I do find the books to be very interesting. Since the publishing of the first book the discovery of a Neanderthal hyoid bone in Kebara Cave in Israel has made some anthropologists believe that Neanderthals were capable of complex speech like modern humans. Others believe that the debate over Neanderthals and speech will never end because the soft tissue of the vocal tract cannot fossilize. While it is unknown exactly what they would have sounded like there probably would have been more than just the rudimentary grunts as portrayed in the movie.  
DexGypMom
[Avatar]

Oh yes....I either saw that on PBS or a National Geo Special or in Nature about the hyoid bone found in the caves of Israel. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't that research also reveal Neanderthals co-existing somewhat side by side with Cro-magnon in those Israeli caves for at least 2 to 3 hundred years? I think that whole special had to do with Neanderthals and theories of their demise from psuedo-cannibalism by Cro-magnon to absorption through interbreeding. To prove the last point, they had pictures of people today with protruding thick browlines, prominent cheek ridges, broad flat noses or short but stocky body types suggesting Neaderthal traits can be seen in modern humans. Some people look like their dogs, so what does that mean?? ha-ha-ha It's cases like this when time travel could answer all those pesky little questions.

•••MaryBeth

l4dyh4wk2
[Avatar]
I don't know Dex, I didn't see what you are referencing but I would like to at some point if I can catch it. Sounds interesting. As far as time travel, if I could have 2 super powers I'd take time travel & invisability so that I could observe history without being seen to prevent possibly changing anything.  
honk1
[Avatar]
DexGypMom wrote:
One of my favorites is the John Jakes series, "Kent Family Chronicles", of the Kentland family saga over many generations beginning in England and their immigration to America. The mini-series pretty much stuck to the story which was refreshing. Jakes quickly followed with "North and South", "Love and War", and "Heaven & Hell", which also became a mini-series where Patrick Swazye became a heart throb as lieutenant Orrey Main.

I also like Herman Wouk's, "Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance" but have to admit, I liked the mini-series better than the books.

I really wish I could say I was a better "read" person but unfortunately, my reading consisted of the books available through Double Day. I had about 1200 lbs. of hardcover books rotting in my basement being a member for 6 years but managed to unload 2/3 of them to the Purple Heart Society. I should get a Kindle and start reading some of the classics....ya, right. I play games and decorate rooms now; who has time for reading? LOL

Honk - I did read the V. C. Andrews series "Flowers in the Attic" and was really creeped out about it. I can't imagine a movie being made on this subject. Was it in theaters? It couldn't have been for TV or even cable back then. I always wondered why the author chose such a controversial topic to write about....first hand knowledge?

•••MaryBeth

Yes it was in the theaters. It came out about maybe three yrs after I had read the series.  
espeongirl
[Avatar]
Twilight and Percy Jackson  
moneywishes
[Avatar]
Harry Potter series

The Left Behind series

Flowers in the Attic series

All are great and different from each other.

I'm a really picky reader and if a book doesn't grab me within the first few pages I usually put it down but these books kept me going.

One of my all time favorite books not in a series was Devil in the White City.  
lucase70
[Avatar]
Percy Jackson and the Olympian it is a great, fast paced, exiting series with a story line based on Greek Mythology
I LOVE GREEK MYTHOLOGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
LadyEarthquake
[Avatar]
nia2795 wrote:I'm not sure if mine are considered "series" and they've changed with the different periods in my life. When was younger and believed in fairy tale romances, Johanna Lindsey 's Mallory family series were my favorites. In fact, to this day I buy whatever she releases. I'm too cynical now to enjoy them as much. Lol.

I also like the Patricia Cornwell books specifically with the Kay Scarpetta character. Cruel and Unusual is my favorite so far in that series.
]what a great topic to start..I like the idea of folks even recommending their fav books. I'm always looking for something new too so I keep checking this topic.

We do have a lot in common. I love the Malory series. That family is awesome especially the ex-pirate and the stow-away American. I think that was my favorite one.

I'm also a Kay Scarpetta fan....actually reading "Scarpetta" now. I lost it in the last book where Marion lost his mind and I'm stumbling through this one because Benton is not Benton....what's happened to him..????

LadyEarthquake
[Avatar]
I am a HUGE fan of the J.D. Robb - In Death series. J.D. Robb is Nora Roberts alter ego and there are 38 books (including novellas) in the series and I've read them all multiple times. I have them on my iPod and have to get a little "In Death" in every day. A friend of mine bugged me to read these books for 2 years before I actually picked one up. I don't know if I'm grateful or angry at her for suggesting these books because I am totally addicted. I've even dedicated a room here for these books. They are indeed my favorite...hands down.  
silverb0t
[Avatar]
Wow, some great responses here!

My favorite series this past year has been The First Law books, by Joe Abercombie.

Keep them coming, I'll keep checking back, love seeing what folks are reading!  
barbie0251
[Avatar]
Does anyone else read Janet Evonovich? I love her Stephie Plum series. I think she's up to number 15 now. I know this isn't high class reaeding, but she's good. You don't really have to be Shakespear to write a good novel. Even tho I love Shakespear!!  
barbie0251
[Avatar]
But also a fan of "Kay Scarpetta!!"  
redwinger77
[Avatar]
robert asprin.......the myth series.......the puns are just out rageous  
Lunaxporch
[Avatar]
Dark tower series by Stephen King. You can't not love them  
Jaye0909
[Avatar]
All of these are awesome reads! Yes, Janet Evanovich, and Patricia Cornwell are good. I, too, count many of the above among my favorite. I also, enjoyed Laurie Faria Stolarz series (Blue is for Nightmares, White is for Magic, Silver is for Secrets, & Red is for Remembrance.) This series is for the young adult, but I still enjoyed it. Basically, I enjoy reading just about anything. Unfortunately I have been unable to get into Dean Koontz,s latest Breathless, Don,t know why but, I have tried several times. Okay, stepping off the soap box now - thanks for "listening"  
joanietreb
[Avatar]
Everything by John Irving-though not really a series, they have a common theme  
zoobie96
[Avatar]
i can,t believe no-one has mentioned Marion Zimmer Bradley and her darkover series i know the books are short by novel standards but they still pack a punch if you're a sci-fi fan  
Josie012
[Avatar]
My favorite book series is Vampire Academy. Its really good and there's so much drama and romance i could talk about it all day long!!  
jewelquest28
[Avatar]
I've read the percy jackson series and it was awesome! My favorite book was the last olympian.  
Sysyphus
[Avatar]
Probably the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Mind blowing stuff.  
Sysyphus
[Avatar]
Lunaxporch wrote:Dark tower series by Stephen King. You can't not love them
Hahaha, and here I thought I was going to like be original or something  
Sysyphus
[Avatar]
barbie0251 wrote:Does anyone else read Janet Evonovich? I love her Stephie Plum series. I think she's up to number 15 now. I know this isn't high class reaeding, but she's good. You don't really have to be Shakespear to write a good novel. Even tho I love Shakespear!!
Don't know how many 'novels' Shakespeare wrote  
dthieman
[Avatar]
[b]I have to say the Harry Potter Series. I'm reading them all for the 7th time.

Also love many of the Hallmark Series like Anne of Green Gables-Avonlea and Sarah Plain and Tall.  
Poppyglow
[Avatar]
I love all VC Andrews series.  
gangiegg
[Avatar]
Hi i loved reading stephen kings the dark towers also anne rice s mayfair witches and the vampire chronicles  
sdp2656
[Avatar]

I definitely agree with sophiadia  
Midget713
[Avatar]
I agree with the dark tower series also outlander by diana gabaldon, and fever series by karen marie monning and anything r a salvatore  
Midget713
[Avatar]
sysyphus I love janet evonovich stephanie plum series just waiting for the next number to come out.  
sallystowe
[Avatar]
its got to be "the sweet potato queens book of love. i lol so hard while on a plane the attendent ended up reading some of it to all the passengers we were all in stitches with laughter. its a must read. a lil off color. but after you read it youll know the secret to getting any man to do anything you want. all you have to do is use the "PROMISE" good luck finding the book and make sure your wearing yur depenad you'll need em

aprilelcg
[Avatar]
[
LadyHawk wrote: I have been a "vampire nut" for over a year now. My favorite series is by Kim Harrison, She has about 7 books out in the series right now. In short a witch, Vampire, Pixie go into business together as bounty hunters of wayward magic makers. If you can do the audio books it's great. The voices are funny, sexy, & mouthy depending on the situation. One title in the middle of the series is "Fistful of Charms". A great site for all book lovers is fantanticfiction.com. Short blurb about author, other books she likes, peoples recommendations, really about all you want. Hope you find some good ones. Another auther is P. N. Elrod, about 10 books in her series.

Happy hunting & Happy reading!!! Aprile  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sun, 31 Jul 2016 12:50

tykhe
[Avatar]
I love the sword of truth series by Terry Goodkind, but the best is George R.R. Martin's " A Song of Ice and Fire" series  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Tue, 27 Apr 2010 17:57

1dishy
[Avatar]
Jaye0909 wrote:All of these are awesome reads! Yes, Janet Evanovich, and Patricia Cornwell are good. I, too, count many of the above among my favorite. I also, enjoyed Laurie Faria Stolarz series (Blue is for Nightmares, White is for Magic, Silver is for Secrets, & Red is for Remembrance.) This series is for the young adult, but I still enjoyed it. Basically, I enjoy reading just about anything. Unfortunately I have been unable to get into Dean Koontz,s latest Breathless, Don,t know why but, I have tried several times. Okay, stepping off the soap box now - thanks for "listening"

Have not yet read Breathless, but I am a huge Dean Koontz fan. Should I try it or not? He is one of my fav authors. But recently tried to read Forever Odd, and just couldn't get through it. Boring for a Koontz book.  
shadow77749
[Avatar]
Ok I've got a few good book series...'His Dark Materials' by Philip Pullman, 'The Twilight Saga' by Stephenie Meyer, 'Harry Potter' serries by J.K. Rowling, and 'The Lord of the Rings' series by J.R.R. Tolkien. At least those are my fave series...  
twilightlover3
[Avatar]
the twilight series hands down  
i8dali4dinner
[Avatar]
twilight
harry potter
11 birthdays
eragon
lightning thief
diary of a wimpy kid
39 clues
the name of this book is secret
the secret language of girls
READ......................... THESE BOOKS!  
Dinismurf
[Avatar]
The Pat Barker trilogy about World War 1... and in a VERY different way, the Narnia books (all except 'The Last Battle', where I suddenly realised that all that fun stuff about secret worlds behind wardrobes had just been a way of selling Christianity to kids).  
iraf
[Avatar]
jrr tolkien complete red book trilogy is best most finest in the market today. LOTR that is  
GwenRedder
[Avatar]
Douglas Adams - Hitch Hikers series.  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Tue, 19 Oct 2010 05:26

notjusthank
[Avatar]
Dinismurf wrote:The Pat Barker trilogy about World War 1... and in a VERY different way, the Narnia books (all except 'The Last Battle', where I suddenly realised that all that fun stuff about secret worlds behind wardrobes had just been a way of selling Christianity to kids).

and what the devil iswrong with christianity. but back to the subject...........................

Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's "Tales of Suspense" featuring Captain America and their "Fantastic Four Series" published by Marvel Comics ...... nough said!  
mulleh
[Avatar]
My fav. is from someone naked Hakan Nesser who writes crimi books. Its a series about a police officer. Very interesting and exciting!  
notjusthank
[Avatar]
HEY EVERYBODY, is it me or did i just read what i read (reed what i red...why do they spell them both that way?)

woooo hooo! mulleh(hey hey hey)

uh huh, fruedian slip i believe. (where can i get a copy?)  

Forum Index » Chatter Central
Go to: