What activities did you do as a child?: iWin Forums

Welcome back  !

Make life simple!

Connect your Facebook account and enjoy all of iWin's games and benefits!

Connect with Facebook No, thank you
iWin Forums, the place to meet, ask, and chat.

[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Groups] Forums Home 

What activities did you do as a child?
Forum Index » Chatter Central
ppineapple
[Avatar]
If you ARE a child (6-12), you can still tell what favorite activities do you like to do. For iWin residents 13 or older, what was your favorite thing to do as a child? Did you enjoy playing games, hanging out with friends and family, help out others, or even do something out of the box? Share your childhood activities here. Let's bring up some shiny, valuable childhood memories back up board.  
MsFancy@ff
[Avatar]
When I was growing up in the late 60's and through the 70's we played OUTSIDE! It would just have killed us to sit inside all day! So, my fav things were playing in the woods, climbing trees(oh, my god she climbed trees!! Call 911!!), making forts or playhouses, playing games like: Dodgeball( yes we all got smacked in the head a few times!), Woofle Ball,Baseball, Frisbie Tag, Hide and go seek...... And only if it was Storming outside would we play inside!! Then we played house, Barbies(J.I. Joe got my Barbie!! She hated Jen!! Oops Ken!!.. Pardon my slip!) Played School, Grocery store.......
All in all I think growing up when I did was a heck of a lot more fun! We were out in the fresh air, we used our imaginations on a constant basis and we "Discovered" the world around us. Wow what a concept!!  
rowanleaf
[Avatar]
I really agree with MsFancy@ff, being outside was great. Where I was you could walk for a couple of days (in the right direction) without seeing another house. There was lots to see; salt flats, scrublands, ponds to swim in & yabbies to eat. Every season was so different. My kids would have a heart attack walking more than 2km. Even better were the animals & insects you could find. Ever seen an insect that looked like a massive pink hibiscus flower?  
ShayeraHol
[Avatar]
I loved to read, to play outside, swim, draw, paint, etc.

Being outside was the best! We had a swing set
and jungle gym in our backyard, and we stayed
outside most of the day with our neighbors kids.

We used to play Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar
Galactica, etc We were big sci-fi nuts.  
ShayeraHol
[Avatar]
rowanleaf wrote:I really agree with MsFancy@ff, being outside was great. Where I was you could walk for a couple of days (in the right direction) without seeing another house. There was lots to see; salt flats, scrublands, ponds to swim in & yabbies to eat. Every season was so different. My kids would have a heart attack walking more than 2km. Even better were the animals & insects you could find. Ever seen an insect that looked like a massive pink hibiscus flower?

That sounds really neat! We went to Virginia every summer to visit my Dad's family, and it was
a lot like you describe. They lived in a farming community, where the houses were miles apart.
Blackberries and strawberries grew wild, and there was all kinds of wildlife. My bro and I
loved the lizards, salamanders, and frogs. There were even big wolf spiders. We learned to
respect wildlife at a very young age, which is common when kids are allowed to play
outside and explore on their own a bit.

mulleh
[Avatar]
I loved hanging out with friends (still do), and gymnastics. One of my favourite things, and best memories was when I was with my grandfather.

Dinismurf
[Avatar]
I HATED being outside - my father used to force me to go and hang out with the local kids (most of whom were in a gang), just so I got some sunshine.

My favourite thing was to organise all my dolls into a game of schools. I even gave them grades and kept a meticulous record of their scores in a notebook.

And I also read vast numbers of novels.  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Fri, 10 Sep 2010 09:55

emcall
[Avatar]
We played outside. One of our faves was at night. We would all (about 8 or 9 neighborhood kids) gather at the lamppost to play hide and seek. We would play for hours until our folks called us in for bath and bed. We also loved to climb trees, swing, make mudpies and ride our bikes. Inside, we listened to music, played with our dolls, read books, played board games, and watched TV. We even played outside when it rained, unless there was lightning. We would make little paper boats and sail them in the gutter as the rain washed down the street to the drain. What memories! That was in the 60's when it was safe for kids to be outside, and no-one locked their doors.  
ppineapple
[Avatar]
Dinismurf wrote:I HATED being outside - my father used to force me to go and hang out with the local kids (most of whom were in a gang), just so I got some sunshine.

My favourite thing was to organise all my dolls into a game of schools. I even gave them grades and kept a meticulous record of their scores in a notebook.

And I also read vast numers of novels.

Oh cool, I hope none of the dolls failed the class.
P.S, did you have a teaching job before you moderated for the iWin Forums?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Thu, 9 Sep 2010 15:50

Dinismurf
[Avatar]
Yes, I taught then and still do. The admin side of teaching is a lot less fun than when I was 10 years old though!  
-ANGEL
[Avatar]
when i was little i liked soccer, riding my bike i also did gymnastics and volleyball, i still play volleyball with friends and exercize its fun and jogging  
GwenRedder
[Avatar]
I loved reading (still do). I was a loner (still am), didn't enjoy mixing with others (still don't). Books have always been my best friends. I've had a love of words all my life, although I'm not too fond of them when they hide from me during games of Wordscape...  
emcall
[Avatar]
GwenRedder wrote:I loved reading (still do). I was a loner (still am), didn't enjoy mixing with others (still don't). Books have always been my best friends. I've had a love of words all my life, although I'm not too fond of them when they hide from me during games of Wordscape...

Gwen, I also love words. I grew up playing Scrabble with my Mom and her friends. Alas, my brain is now old and slow. Proficiency at WordScape eludes me, as well.

By the way, there's nothing wrong with being a loner, or not mixing , but I am glad to see that you enjoy the forums. I enjoy your posts.
And it's a fun place to be, without putting yourself out there too far.  
musical63
[Avatar]
the game was called red light green light my kids and grandkids still play it  
l4dyh4wk2
[Avatar]
I was born in 1957 and therefore did my growing up (that I remember) in the 60's & 70's. We used to go camping almost every weekend from March to November and sometimes during the winter too since my parents were both involved with the Boy Scouts & Girls Scouts. We also just went family camping too...I loved it... walking in the woods; doing creek walks & catching frogs & crayfish; going canoeing & fishing; picking wild blueberries, strawberries, raspberries & blackberries; learning about plants & animals; picking armloads of wildflowers; swimming; toasting marshmallows over the campfire; stargazing. Sometimes in the fall we would collect wild concord grapes bring them home & make our own grape jelly... one of the camps we went to also had apple trees and then we'd make jelly & applesauce too.
During the week at home I liked to hangout with my family, I had 3 siblings & we would ride our bikes, play cowboys & indians, tag, volleyball & batmitten outside. We'd dig in the 'digging hole' & make mud pies and swing on our swingset. Sometimes we'd 'camp' out in the yard & have a 'campfire'. We had both flower & vegetable gardens and we'd help in the gardens. It was cool to plant a seed and watch as the plant matured and grew food to harvest or a seedling turn into a beautiful flower. I liked to read, paint, draw & color. We played house & weplayed with blocks, tinker-toys, Lincoln logs & marbles. i played with my barbie dolls and made/sewed clothes for them. I used to like to do embroidery and crewel-work too. One of our babysitters taught me how to crochet so I used to do that too. Mom had a MILLION potholders and dish-rags cause all I could do then were simple squares. I liked to help my mom make dinner or do the holiday baking. We played board games & watched TV... after all we had a whole 7 channels to choose from (LOL) 3,6,10,12,17,29,48 ALL of which went off the air sometime after midnight. Sometimes Mom & Dad would pack a picnic style dinner & we kids would put on our pajamas & all get in the stationwagon & go to the drive-in movie where they had double features. That was a real treat back then. It's a shame that things have changed so much that many kids today never get to know the simple joys and freedom of adventure that we had back then.  

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Fri, 3 May 2013 13:48

Griddlebone
[Avatar]
We're about the same age. We had two TV channels: I think 5 and 7. NBC and CBS. Much later... perhaps around 1964?... we got an ABC station, but in another town and mostly we had a snowy picture with scratchy sound. (Sound better than picture.)

I've never been to a drive-in. I was saving it for marriage (ya gotta save SOMETHING) and by the time I married they were almost all gone. There is still one here in town, and I've asked my husband to take me, but he worked at a drive in as a teenager/20-something and they hold no charm for him.  

Forum Index » Chatter Central
Go to: